|Broadcast area||Ashland, Virginia
Hanover County, Virginia
|Branding||"102.9 The Mater"|
|Slogan||"Your Hometown Voice"|
|Frequency||1430 AM kHz|
|First air date||May 1, 1962|
|Power||1,000 Watts daytime
31 Watts nighttime
|Former callsigns||WDYL (1960–1962, CP)
|Owner||Fifth Estate Broadcasting, LLC|
On February 1, 2015, Charlottesville-based public broadcaster WTJU began simulcasting its programming on WHAN in an attempt to use its FM translator to reach the Richmond market. WTJU operated the station daily from 1am to 6pm as part of a three-year local marketing agreement. Through a separate agreement with WTJU, Virginia Commonwealth University webcaster WVCW broadcast on WHAN Monday through Thursday from 6pm to 1am and Friday from 9pm to 1am, with additional broadcasting time allowed for special events. Local programming filled the remaining timeslots 6pm-9pm on Friday evenings and 6pm-1am on weekends.
WTJU terminated the local marketing agreement effective August 16, 2017, citing financial reasons. WHAN returned to a locally programmed music format, branded "102.9 The Mater", which it describes as a mix of classic Southern rock and 1990s alternative rock.
In addition to the main station, WHAN is relayed by an FM translator to widen its broadcast area.
|City of license||Facility
|W275BQ||102.9 FM||Ashland, Virginia||155027||250 watts||96.9 m (318 ft)||D||FCC|
- Broadcasting Yearbook 2010 (PDF). ProQuest, LLC/Reed Publishing (Nederland), B.V. 2010. p. D-559. Retrieved July 21, 2015.
- "Arbitron Station Information Profiles". Nielsen Audio/Nielsen Holdings. Retrieved July 21, 2015.
- FCC History Cards for WIVE
- "Call Sign History". Federal Communications Commission, audio division. Retrieved July 21, 2015.
- "WHAN Facility Record". Federal Communications Commission, audio division. Retrieved July 21, 2015.
- Venta, Lance (January 28, 2015). "WTJU Adds Richmond Rimshot". RadioBB Networks. Retrieved July 21, 2015.
- "U.Va.-owned station to take over WHAN". Hanover Herald-Progress. Ashland, Virginia: Lakeway Publishers, Inc. January 21, 2015. Retrieved July 21, 2015.
- Collins, Anna (12 March 2015). "Student radio partnership brings VCU programming to Ashland FM station". VCU News.
- Venta, Lance (17 August 2017). "WHAN Drops WTJU Simulcast To Launch Local Community Format - RadioInsight". RadioInsight.
- "About us". WHAN.
- "W250BG Facility Record". Federal Communications Commission, audio division. Retrieved July 21, 2015.