This article has multiple issues. Please help improve it or discuss these issues on the talk page. (Learn how and when to remove these template messages)(Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Parent||Livermore Amador Valley Transit Authority|
|Headquarters||1362 Rutan Court, Suite 100, Livermore, California|
|Service area||Tri Valley|
|Service type||Bus service|
|Routes||9 local routes, 3 express routes, 3 shuttle routes, 15 select school trippers|
|Destinations||Livermore, Dublin, Pleasanton|
|Stations||Livermore Transit Center|
|Daily ridership||5,737 daily (1.7 million annually)|
Wheels is a bus service that provides public transportation in the Tri-Valley Region (southeast Alameda County) of the San Francisco Bay Area, in the United States. Started in 1986, Wheels offers service to various communities in three cities, and connects to Bay Area Rapid Transit (BART) and Altamont Corridor Express (ACE) trains for connections to and from the greater Bay Area (Oakland, San Francisco, San Jose) and Central Valley (Stockton, Modesto, Tracy).
Wheels is operated by the Livermore Amador Valley Transit Authority (LAVTA), and it has carried nearly 2 million passengers annually.
Contra Costa County:
As of March 2020, Wheels operates seven (7) local routes, two (2) Rapid routes, three (3) express routes, fifteen (15) select school trippers and three (3) shuttle routes. Descriptions for all routes are described below.
Note that routes with an X are express routes. And routes with an R are Rapid routes
|Route||Days of Operation||Direction||North/East Terminal||South/West Terminal||Cities, Communities, and Attractions Served||Service Frequency||Schedule Information|
Santa Rita County Jail
|Everyday||Loop||Dublin/Pleasanton BART Station||East Dublin, Emerald Point, East County Hall of Justice, Santa Rita County Jail||Operates every 30 mins. during the day. And every 60 mins. on weekends|||
|Monday-Friday||East-West, then loop||Dublin Ranch Village,Fallon Middle School, Positano & Valentano||Dublin/Pleasanton BART Station||East Dublin, Emerald Point, Emerald Glen Park, Dublin Ranch Village||Operates hourly during peak times (commute hours)(Currently Suspended due to Covid-19)|||
|Everyday||Loop||Dublin/Pleasanton BART Station||Stoneridge Mall||Dublin/Pleasanton BART Station, Stoneridge Dr., Stoneridge Mall||Operates every 30 mins. during most of the day on weekdays, 60 mins. midday and at night, and 40 mins. on weekends.|||
|Everyday||Bi-directional||Dublin/Pleasanton BART Station||Bernal & Palomino||Hopyard, South Pleasanton, Downtown Pleasanton, Pleasanton Senior Center||Operates every 30 mins. during peak periods and 60 mins. midday and weekends|||
|Livermore Transit Center (ACE)||Dublin/Pleasanton BART Station||Dublin/Pleasanton BART Station, Walmart, Stanford Health Care-Valley Care Medical Center, Downtown Pleasanton, Shadow Cliffs Regional Recreation area, Downtown Livermore, Livermore Transit Center (ACE)||Operates every 15 mins. on weekdays during peak and midday hours. And every 30-60 mins. weekday evenings and weekends.|||
|Monday-Friday||Bi-directional||Vasco ACE Station||Livermore Transit Center (ACE)||Livermore Transit Center (ACE), Las Positas, Livermore industrial area, Vasco ACE Station||Operates hourly commute hours only (Currently Suspended due to Covid-19)|||
|Livermore Transit Center (ACE)||Dublin/Pleasanton BART Station||Livermore Transit Center (ACE), Livermore Civic Center, Downtown Livermore, Jack London Blvd., San Francisco Premium Outlets, Stoneridge Dr., Dublin/Pleasanton BART Station||Operates 30-45 min. during commute hours, evenings (excluding last westbound bus). And hourly midday and weekends.|||
|Everyday||East-West, then loop||Livermore
(Scenic & Vasco)
|Livermore Transit Center||Junction Avenue Middle School, Walmart, Kaiser-Livermore, Target, Springtown Golf Course, Christensen Middle School||Operates every 30 mins., until 7:30 pm. Every 60 mins. till after midnight and on weekends|||
|Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory||W. Dublin/Pleasanton BART Station||Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory, East Ave., Downtown Livermore, Livermore transit Center (ACE), Portola Ave., Las Positas Community College, North Canyons Pkwy, Costco, Dublin Blvd., Dublin/Pleasanton BART Station, Dublin Civic Center, W. Dublin/Pleasanton BART Station||Operates every 15 mins. on weekdays during peak and midday hours. And hourly on weekday evenings and weekends.|||
- Wheels also operated an All-Nighter route, Route 810, that ran between Downtown Livermore to Bay Fair BART Station in San Leandro, serving areas currently provided by the all-day Route 10. However, due to budget cuts and low ridership, this route was eliminated on June 27, 2009.
On January 24, 2011, Wheels launched its first Bus Rapid Transit (BRT) service called the "Tri-Valley Rapid", dubbed route "R" for short. Billed as "the next generation transit system", the Tri-Valley Rapid makes travel in the Tri-Valley area (Dublin, Pleasanton, and Livermore) cleaner, easier, and faster. Route R was a route that ran parallel to its parent route-route 10 from Stoneridge Mall to the Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory from 6 a.m. to 9 p.m. As of August 2016, Wheels rolled out a second Rapid route numbered "30R" along with new and modified routes throughout the system. Route 10 was then modified and renumbered as route "10R". Wheels Rapid service incorporates similar features already used by local Bay Area transit agencies, like AC Transit and Golden Gate Transit, including:
- Buses operating every 15 minutes from 5:00 a.m. to 7:00 p.m. on weekdays. And 15 minutes all other times to provide maximum convenience for passengers
- Stops are mainly concentrated at major intersections and attractions along the route
- All-day service (operates from 4:30 a.m. to 1:40 a.m. on weekdays)
- New technology using bus only lanes with signal priority also known as "Queue Jump Signals" at certain intersections
- New low floor, ultra low emission hybrid buses with distinct styling and free on board Wi-Fi
- Enhanced bus shelters with electronic bus arrival signs (similar to the NextBus deployed on AC Transit and San Francisco MUNI)
All express routes operate weekday peak periods only (between 5:00 and 9:00 am and 3:30 and 8:00 pm). Holiday service is not currently provided by express routes.
|Route Number||Direction||Terminals||Cities, Communities, and Attractions Served||Express Area||Direction of Travel||Notes||Schedule Information|
|North/East Terminal||South/West Terminal||Morning commute||Afternoon commute|
|East-West||Livermore Transit Center||Dublin/Pleasanton BART Station||Hacienda Business Park (Oracle), Vasco ACE Station, Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory, LLNL/Sandia Transit Hub, Mines Rd, First Street||Dublin/Pleasanton BART Station, Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory, Vasco ACE Station, N Mines Road, Livermore Transit Center (ACE)||Towards Livermore||Towards BART||Route operates Monday-Friday during commute hours only||Route 20X Schedule|
|North-South||Pleasant Hill BART Station||Dublin/Pleasanton BART Station||Dublin/Pleasanton BART, Walnut Creek BART, Pleasant Hill BART||Dublin/Pleasanton BART Station, Dublin Blvd., Dublin Civic Center, I-680, Walnut Creek BART Station and Pleasant Hill BART Station||Operates in both directions||Route operates Monday-Friday during commute hours only||Route 70X Schedule|
|Livermore Transit Center (ACE)||Dublin/Pleasanton
|Dublin/Pleasanton BART Station, I-580, North Livermore Ave., Livermore Transit Center (ACE)||Dublin/Pleasanton BART Station, I-580, Livermore Transit Center (ACE)||Operates in both directions||Route operates Monday-Friday during commute hours only||Route 580X
Wheels shuttle routes are numbered between 50 and 59, and usually operate on certain days or at certain times only. These routes serve destinations close to BART, local events, office and industrial parks, and ACE stations.
- Holiday service is currently provided by routes 53 and 54 on Martin Luther King Jr.'s day and President's day.
|Route Number||Days of Operation||Direction||Terminals||Cities, Communities, and Attractions Served||Notes||Schedule Information|
|North/East Terminal||South/West Terminal|
|52||Seasonal||North-South||Dublin/Pleasanton BART Station||Pleasanton ACE Station||Dublin/Pleasanton BART Station, Alameda County Fairgrounds||Operates only when the Alameda County Fair is in season|
|53||Weekday peak periods only||North-South||Stoneridge Mall||Pleasanton ACE||West Dublin/Pleasanton BART, Alameda County Fairgrounds, Stoneridge Mall, Kaiser-Pleasanton||Operates via I-680 (both ways) and Stoneridge & McWilliams (NB only); bus schedules coordinated with ACE trains|
|54||Weekday peak periods only||North-South||Dublin/Pleasanton BART Station||Pleasanton ACE Station||Alameda County Fairgrounds, Bernal Business Park, Hopyard Rd, Hacienda Business Park (Hart Middle School, Willow Rd, CarrAmerica, Walmart, Oracle, Alameda Municipal Court, Rose Pavilion), Koll Center, Hacienda Crossings||Operates around the Hacienda Business Park and Bernal Business Park northbound AM and southbound PM; bus schedules coordinated with ACE trains|
Select School Day Services
Wheels operates fifteen (15) dedicated Select School routes (also known as School Trippers) that bring students to and from schools in the cities of Dublin and Pleasanton. These routes only operate when schools are in session.
Regular Routes that Provide Select School Day Services: These routes provide additional trips to serve nearby schools along their main routes.
- 2 (East Dublin) Fallon Middle School
- 14 (Pleasanton-Livermore) Livermore High School, Hart Middle School
- 10R (Pleasanton-Livermore) Amador Valley High School, Granada High School
- 30R (Dublin-Livermore) Livermore High School, East Ave. Middle School
Select School Day-only Services: These trips are identified as routes numbered:
- Dublin schools: 500 series routes
- Pleasanton schools: 600 series routes
These operate during school days only, with most morning trips leaving later on Wednesdays in Dublin, and trips leaving later on Wednesdays and Thursdays in Pleasanton.
|Route Number||Direction||School/s Served||Communities and Attractions Served||Schedule Information|
|501 (A, B, & C)||East-West||Dublin High School||Positano, Fallon Road, Silvera Ranch, Tassajara Road, Central Pwky, Dublin High School||Route 501 Schedule|
|502||East-West||Dublin High School||Dublin Ranch Village, Central Pkwy, Wildwood Rd, Dublin High School||Route 502 Schedule|
|503||East-West||Dublin High School/
Wells Middle School
|Dublin & Marshall Canyon WB, Shannon Park, Dublin High School, Wells Middle School||Route 503 Schedule|
|504||East-West||Dublin High School||Gleason Dr, Antone Way, Dublin Ranch, Dublin High School||Route 504 Schedule|
|Route Number||Direction||School/s Served||Communities and Attractions Served||Schedule Information|
|601||East-West||Pleasanton Middle School||Ruby Hill, Bernal Avenue||Route 601 Schedule|
|602||North-South||Foothill High School||Downtown Pleasanton, Del Prado Park, Parkside, Valley Trails Park||Route 602 Schedule|
|603||East-West||Hart Middle School||Stoneridge, Muirwood Park||Route 603 Schedule|
|604||East-West||Foothill High School||Fairlands, Hacienda Business Park, Stoneridge, Muirwood Park||Route 604 Schedule|
|605||North-South, with Loop||Amador Valley High School||Fairlands, Amaral Park, Kamp Road||Route 605 Schedule|
|606||East-West, with Loops||Pleasanton Middle School||Vintage Hills, Tawny Park, Kottinger Drive||Route 606 Schedule|
|607||North-South||Hart Middle School||Laguna Oaks||Route 607 Schedule|
|608||North-South||Harvest Park Middle School||Mission Plaza, Amador Center, Nielsen Park, Amaral Park||Route 608 Schedule|
|609||North-South||Hart Middle School||Del Prado Park, Parkside Drive, Valley Trails||Route 609 Schedule|
|610||East-West||Hart Middle School||Fairlands, Valley Care Medical Center||Route 610 Schedule|
|611||North-South||Amador Valley High School||Ruby Hill, Vintage Hills, Tawny Park||Route 611 Schedule|
The major transfer points for Wheels routes include:
- Dublin/Pleasanton BART Station routes: 1, 2, 3, 8, 14, 10R, 20X, 30R, 54, 70X, 580X.
- W. Dublin/Pleasanton BART Station routes: 3, 30R, 53.
- Livermore Transit Center in Downtown Livermore routes: 10R, 11, 14, 15, 20X, 30R, 580X.
- Also the main transfer point for ACE commuter trains and Amtrak Motorway.
Fares are effective 1 January 2019 
|Type||Adult (18-64)/Student (6-17)†||Senior (65+)/Disabled ‡|
|Paratransit Service (Dial-A-Ride)||US$3.50||US$3.50|
- Children under 6 ride free and must be with an adult
- Appropriate identification must be presented to obtain the discounted Senior/Disabled fare.
Transfers are given out to passengers only at time of boarding if Clipper Card is used, are honored only on the day issued, and are valid on any Wheels or Rapid fixed route bus within two (2) hours after boarding.
- Local Wheels route to another Wheels route: Free with transfer using Clipper Card
- County Connection: Free with transfer using Clipper Card
- ACE: Free with a valid and visible ACE train ticket
- BART to Bus: $1 discount with a white BART to Bus ticket upon exiting the BART Station (you can't use a regular BART ticket)
- Bus to BART: $2.00 (you can't use a regular BART ticket)
Wheels offers for sale several bus passes or punch cards which provide a discount over cash fare:
- Monthly Pass (East Bay Value Pass) for US$60.00, valid on all Wheels, County Connection, Tri Delta Transit and WestCAT fixed-route buses
- Senior (65+)/Disabled Monthly Pass for US$18.00
Connecting transit agencies
- ACE, at the Pleasanton, Livermore, and Vasco stations
- Amtrak California, at the Livermore Transit Center and Dublin/Pleasanton BART Station
- BART, at Dublin/Pleasanton and West Dublin/Pleasanton stations in Alameda County, and at the Walnut Creek and Pleasant Hill BART stations in Contra Costa County
- County Connection at the Dublin/Pleasanton, Walnut Creek and Pleasant Hill BART stations, Pleasanton ACE station, and at shared bus stops along Dublin Blvd.
- MAX Modesto BART Express to Modesto, at the Dublin/Pleasanton BART station
- San Joaquin RTD Route 150 to Stockton, Tracy, and Lathrop at the Dublin/Pleasanton BART Station
- Stanislaus Regional Transit (STaRT) to Patterson from the Dublin/Pleasanton BART station
The local transportation demand management organization 511.org also provides information for intermodal transfers throughout the county and works closely with Wheels to improve regional transit options.
|0701-0702||2007||Gillig||Low Floor BRT HEV 29'
|Cummins ISB||Allison H 40 Hybrid System||Purchased via San Joaquin RTD Purchasing Consortium.|
|0901-0902||2009||Gillig||Low Floor BRT HEV 29'
|Cummins ISB||Allison H 40 Hybrid system||These coaches are used for the Wheels Rapid routes. These buses are branded with the Wheels Rapid paint scheme and are equipped with free Wi-Fi
|0903-0914||2009||Gillig||Low Floor BRT HEV 40'
|Cummins ISB||Allison H 40 Hybrid system||These coaches are used for the Wheels Rapid routes 10R and 30R and are equipped with free Wifi.|
|1101-1104||2011||Gillig||Low Floor HEV 29'
|Cummins ISB6.7||Allison H 40 Hybrid system||Coaches 1103 and 1104 are used on the Wheels Rapid routes and are equipped with free Wi-Fi.|
|1601- 1610||2016||Gillig||Low Floor BRT HEV 35'
|Cummins ISB6.7||BAE Systems HybriDrive||These coaches are for the Rapid routes on 10R and 30R. These buses are branded with the Wheels Rapid paint scheme and are equipped with free Wi-Fi and USB/Cell phone charging outlets.|
|1611-1620||2016||Gillig||LowFloor BRT HEV 40'
|Cummins ISB6.7||BAE Systems HybriDrive||Coach 1611 is for the 54 Hacienda Business Park route and stands out due to its distinct branding of the American flag in honor of the "Built Locally" slogan for supporting local, American jobs and workers. Coaches 1617-1620 are premium commuter styled buses equipped with free Wi-Fi, high-back reclining seats and USB/cell phone charging outlets.|
|1701-1711||2017||Gillig||Low Floor BRT HEV 40'||Cummins ISB6.7||BAE Systems HybriDrive||Coaches 1701 and 1702 are painted in the original Wheels red, white and blue paint scheme. Coach 1711 is a premium, commuter styled bus equipped with free Wi-Fi, high-back reclining seats, and USB/cell phone charging outlets.|
|1712-1720||2017||Gillig||Low Floor BRT HEV 29'||Cummins ISB6.7||Allison|
- WHEELS - About LAVTA, retrieved May 24, 2007
- WHEELS - Routes, Timetables and Maps
- Wheels Transit Guide (2010 Routes and Schedules), effective January 22, 2011
- "Holiday Schedules"
- WHEELS - Transit Centers
- WHEELS - Fare and Monthly Pass Information
- "Livermore Amador Valley Transit Authority : Fares". Retrieved 2019-04-20.