NEWSRADIO WHLM is a Northeast Pennsylvania based radio station that specializes in local news, local sports and local weather
|Translator(s)||W234BH (94.7, Berwick)
W282AP (104.3, Bloomsburg)
W288CF (105.5, Danville)
|First air date||1947 (as WCNR)|
|Power||2,000 watts day
18 watts night
|Callsign meaning||Harry L. Magee|
|Former callsigns||WCNR (1947-2001)|
|Affiliations||CBS Radio Network|
|Owner||Columbia Broadcasting Company|
|Sister stations||WBWX, WHLM-FM|
WHLM (930 AM, "NEWSRADIO WHLM") is a radio station broadcasting an adult contemporary format. Licensed to Bloomsburg, Pennsylvania, USA, the station is currently owned by Columbia Broadcasting Company (not a part of CBS Radio) but still features national news from CBS Radio Network. The station is news intensive with local and national news at the top and bottom of every hour during the day.
- In the fall of 1947, two brand new radio stations signed on the air in Bloomsburg, Pennsylvania. The Morning Press turned on AM 930 WCNR and a group of local business people fired up AM 690 WLTR.
- In September 1951, Harry L. Magee of Magee Industrial Enterprises changed the call letters of WLTR to WHLM... Harry's Initials!
- In October 1953, daytime only AM 690 moved to a new dial position, AM 550, a full-time channel and WHLM became Bloomsburg's first 24-hour radio station.
- In September 1956, Harry turned on WHLM-FM 106.5
- In 1966, The Morning Press sold AM 930 WCNR to the station manager Ed Darlington.
- Press Enterprise in 1998 petitioned the Federal Communications Commission for a waiver to buy back AM 930 WCNR.
- In 1998, Magee Industrial Enterprises sold AM 550 and FM 106.5 to a Selinsgrove-based company that turned off AM 550 and subsequently changed the WHLM FM call leters to WFYY, Flight 106.5.
- In April 2001, Press Enterprise turned off AM 930 WCNR.
- The Columbia Broadcasting Company, in September 2001, Purchased the assets of AM 930 WCNR. The studios, offices and historic call letters were restored in the WHLM Building on the Square in Downtown Bloomsburg. The station signed back on the air as "The New 930 WHLM."
- "Station Information Profile". Arbitron. Spring 2010. Retrieved 2010-04-04.
- "WHLM Facility Record". United States Federal Communications Commission, audio division. Retrieved 2010-04-04.
- "News Radio 930 WHLM, 94.7, 104.3, Berwick's 1280, Danville's 105.5 & WHLM.com". whlmam.com. Retrieved 2016-01-08.
WHLM radio carries the initials of (the late) Harry L. Magee, owner of Magee Carpet company of Bloomsburg.
- Official website
- Query the FCC's AM station database for WHLM
- Radio-Locator Information on WHLM
- Query Nielsen Audio's AM station database for WHLM
- FCC History Cards for WHLM
- Query the FCC's FM station database for W234BH
- Radio-Locator information on W234BH
- Query the FCC's FM station database for W282AP
- Radio-Locator information on W282AP
- Query the FCC's FM station database for W288CF
- Radio-Locator information on W288CF
|This article about a radio station in Pennsylvania is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|