WHU-Otto Beisheim School of Management
||This article contains content that is written like an advertisement. (November 2013) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
|Type||Private Business School|
|Dean||Prof. Dr. Markus Rudolf|
|37 Chairs, 272 Doctoral students, approx. 167 staff (September 2015)|
|Students||1,401 (September 2015)|
|Location||Vallendar,Düsseldorf, RP, North Rhine-Westphalia, Germany|
|Campus||Vallendar and Düsseldorf|
|Study programs||Doctoral Program|
|Colors||Blue and White|
WHU – Otto Beisheim School of Management (or WHU Vallendar) is a German business school. The mainly privately financed school was founded in 1984 by the Koblenz chamber of commerce and is located in Vallendar near Koblenz and Düsseldorf. WHU maintains a network of over 190 partner universities worldwide.
The school's partnership with the Kellogg School of Management, USA has led to the joint Kellogg-WHU Executive MBA Program which is ranked as one of the best EMBA programs in Europe. Its Master of Science in Management program has been ranked 4th worldwide by the Financial Times in 2014, making WHU – Otto Beisheim School of Management the foremost German business school.
WHU is the abbreviation of German Wissenschaftliche Hochschule für Unternehmensführung (English: academic institution of higher education for corporate management). Patron and main financier of the business school is the late billionaire and founder of the METRO Cash & Carry Group, Otto Beisheim.
Currently, there are 1,401 students (including doctoral students) at WHU, about 167 employees and 52 professors (including junior professors). The faculty includes the following centers: WHU Asia Center, Biopharma Management Center, Center for Collaborative Commerce, Center for Controlling & Management, Center for European Studies, Center of Asset and Wealth Management, Center for Sports and Management, Financial Accounting and Tax Center, Henkel Center for Consumer Goods, Center for Market-Oriented Corporate Management, Center for Responsible Leadership and Wipro Center for Business Resilience.
WHU offers the following programs:
- Three-year Bachelor of Science program which includes two mandatory internships and one semester in one of WHU's international partner schools.
- One-and-half year Master of Science in Management program consecutive to the Bachelor of Science program
- One-and-half year Master of Science in Finance program consecutive to the Bachelor of Science program (started in 2013)
- Full-Time MBA program which includes visiting studies at Kellogg School of Management – Northwestern University (USA), IIMB – Indian Institute of Management, Bangalore and CEIBS – China Europe International Business School, study language is English
- Part-Time MBA program, which has been designed for highly motivated young professionals having at least two years of work experience and a keen desire to deepen and enrich their knowledge in the field of business and economics.
- The Kellogg-WHU Global Executive MBA Program in partnership with Kellogg School of Management – Northwestern University, Evanston/Chicago, Illinois, USA, study language is English.
- Doctoral programs, students are awarded the German PhD equivalent Dr. rer. pol.
- Executive Education, customized programs for companies and open General Management programs
The selection process for the undergraduate studies consists of two separate parts. Students are preselected according to their academic achievements or personal achievements and are offered a chance to compete for one of the roughly 200 seats per year at the final selection day. During that day, candidates have to hold presentations, talk to representatives of the private business sector and go through mathematical tests. Top applicants are then offered a place in the Bachelor of Science program. The acceptance rate of those offers ranges around 94%.
All WHU degree programs are recognized by the state and accredited by the Foundation for International Business Administration Accreditation (FIBAA). In addition, WHU is certified by accreditations from the Association to Advance Collegiate Schools of Business (AACSB) and from the European Quality Improvement System (EQUIS).
Its Master in Management Program ranked 8th worldwide and 1st in Germany according to the Financial Times Master in Management Ranking 2015. The joint Kellogg-WHU Executive MBA Program made 1st place in Germany and 20th worldwide in the Financial Times Executive MBA Ranking 2015. Furthermore, WHU was placed 4th in Germany and 37th in Europe in the overall Financial Times Business School Ranking 2015. According to the QS Global 200 MBA Ranking 2014/2015, WHU ranked 3rd in Germany and 33rd in Europe. In the Economist 2015 ranking of EMBA programs, the joint Kellogg-WHU EMBA Program reached the 6th place overall.
WHU Student Clubs
Students at WHU founded a large variety of student clubs. Among them are the conferences of the "Campus for..." - series:
- Campus for Finance
- WHU – Campus for Supply Chain Management
- WHU – Campus for Controlling
- Campus for Strategy and Leadership
- WHU – Campus for Marketing
- WHU – Campus for Sales
Further student clubs are:
- 3 Day Startup
- WHU Charity Concerts
- Enactus WHU
- Entrepreneurship Roundtable
- WHU Music Club
- WHU Sports Club (HSSV)
- In Vino Veritas
- SAIDA Consulting
- WHU Students' Theater Group
- TEDx WHU
- Vallendar Integration Program (VIP)
- WHU Finance Society e.V.
- WHU Debating Union
- WHU Euromasters
- WHU First Responder
- WHU GenerationsCup
- WHU Golf
- WHU Students Help e.V.
- WHU Walks for Charity
A selection of WHU Professors:
- Paul Achleitner
- Christian Andres
- Klaus Brockhoff
- Holger Ernst
- Martin Fassnacht
- Michael Frenkel
- Martin Glaum
- Ove Jensen
- Lutz Kaufmann
- Karl-Ludwig Kley
- Peter May
- Bolko von Oetinger
- Markus Rudolf
- Utz Schäffer
- Stefan Spinler
- Carl Marcus Wallenburg
- Jürgen Weber
- Jürgen Weigand
- Axel Wieandt
- "Kaplan A.: European Management and European Business Schools: Insights from the History of Business Schools, European Management Journal, 2014".
- Financial Times EMBA rankings 2006
- https://www.whu.edu/en/about-whu/whu-at-a-glance/. Missing or empty
- https://www.whu.edu/en/faculty-research/centers/. Missing or empty
- https://www.whu.edu/en/about-whu/accreditations/. Missing or empty
- http://rankings.ft.com/businessschoolrankings/masters-in-management-2015. Missing or empty
- http://rankings.ft.com/businessschoolrankings/executive-mba-ranking-2015. Missing or empty
- http://rankings.ft.com/businessschoolrankings/european-business-school-rankings-2015. Missing or empty
- "QS Global 200 MBA Rankings 2014/15: Europe". TopMBA.com. Retrieved 22 July 2015.
- http://www.economist.com/whichmba/executive-mba-ranking/2015. Missing or empty
- https://www.whu.edu/en/programs/studying-at-whu/student-life-and-clubs/. Missing or empty
- https://www.whu.edu/en/corporate-connections/engagement-opportunities/whu-campus-for-series/campus-for-finance/. Missing or empty
- https://www.whu.edu/en/corporate-connections/engagement-opportunities/whu-campus-for-series/campus-for-supply-chain-management/. Missing or empty
- http://www.whu-on-controlling.com/konferenz/. Missing or empty
- https://www.whu.edu/en/corporate-connections/engagement-opportunities/whu-campus-for-series/campus-for-strategy-leadership/. Missing or empty
- https://www.whu.edu/en/corporate-connections/engagement-opportunities/whu-campus-for-series/campus-for-marketing/. Missing or empty
- https://www.whu.edu/en/corporate-connections/engagement-opportunities/whu-campus-for-series/whu-campus-for-sales/. Missing or empty
- https://www.whu.edu/en/entrepreneurship/whu-founding-clubs-and-initiatives/3-day-startup/. Missing or empty
- https://www.whu.edu/en/programs/studying-at-whu/student-life-and-clubs/confluentes-ev//. Missing or empty
- https://www.whu.edu/en/programs/studying-at-whu/student-life-and-clubs/enactus-whu-vallendar/. Missing or empty
- https://www.whu.edu/en/entrepreneurship/whu-founding-clubs-and-initiatives/entrepreneurship-roundtable/. Missing or empty
- https://www.whu.edu/en/programs/studying-at-whu/student-life-and-clubs/further-projects/hochschulsportverein/. Missing or empty
- https://www.whu.edu/en/programs/studying-at-whu/student-life-and-clubs/idealab/. Missing or empty
- https://www.whu.edu/en/programs/studying-at-whu/student-life-and-clubs/saidia-consulting/. Missing or empty
- https://www.whu.edu/en/programs/studying-at-whu/student-life-and-clubs/sensability/. Missing or empty
- https://www.whu.edu/en/programs/studying-at-whu/student-life-and-clubs/smartup/. Missing or empty
- https://www.whu.edu/en/programs/studying-at-whu/student-life-and-clubs/theater-group/. Missing or empty
- https://www.whu.edu/en/programs/studying-at-whu/student-life-and-clubs/tedxwhu/. Missing or empty
- https://www.whu.edu/en/programs/studying-at-whu/student-life-and-clubs/whu-finance-society-ev/. Missing or empty
- https://www.whu.edu/en/programs/studying-at-whu/student-life-and-clubs/whu-euromasters/. Missing or empty
- https://www.whu.edu/en/programs/studying-at-whu/student-life-and-clubs/first-responder/. Missing or empty
- https://www.whu.edu/en/programs/studying-at-whu/student-life-and-clubs/students-help/. Missing or empty