The WIDE Project (Widely Integrated Distributed Environment), founded in 1985 (32 years ago), is an Internet project in Japan. It runs a major backbone of the Japanese Internet and used to run the .jp TLD. WIDE aims to integrate academia and industry in a single group that overcomes lines between organizations as an autonomous force utilizing new technologies for a better society. This mission has guided the actions of the project for two decades, and will continue to be a cornerstone of its activities.
The president is Jun Murai.
It has been a core proponent of IPv6 research, development and deployment in Japan.
The project was started as the WIDE Research Group in 1985.
- "WIDE : Press Release: Jun Murai Is Promoted to Founder of WIDE Project." WIDE PROJECT. WIDE, 19 March 2010. Web. 20 August 2010. <http://www.wide.ad.jp/news/press/20100319-NewDirector-e.html>.
- Esaki, Hiroshi. "WIDE:About WIDE:Foreword." WIDE PROJECT. March 2010. Web. 20 August 2010. <http://www.wide.ad.jp/about/foreword.html>.
- "M Root DNS Server". M.root-servers.org. Retrieved 2014-01-23.
- Esaki; et al. (2008). Broadband Internet deployment in Japan. ISBN 978-4-274-90640-4. Retrieved 14 September 2009., page 9
- "About WIDE". WIDE. Retrieved 9 September 2009.
- Ripe meetings documents Routing WG - RIPE49, retrieved 15 November 2010
|This organization-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|