The WIDE Project (Widely Integrated Distributed Environment), founded in 1985 (32 years ago)  is an Internet project in Japan founded by Keio University, Tokyo Institute of Technology, and The University of Tokyo. It runs a major backbone of the Japanese Internet and used to run the .jp TLD. WIDE aims to integrate academia and industry in a single group that overcomes lines between organizations as an autonomous force utilizing new technologies for a better society. This mission has guided the actions of the project for two decades, and will continue to be a cornerstone of its activities.
The project was started as the WIDE Research Group in 1985.
- "WIDE : Press Release: Jun Murai Is Promoted to Founder of WIDE Project." WIDE PROJECT. WIDE, 19 March 2010. Web. 20 August 2010. <http://www.wide.ad.jp/news/press/20100319-NewDirector-e.html>.
- Esaki, Hiroshi. "WIDE:About WIDE:Foreword." WIDE PROJECT. March 2010. Web. 20 August 2010. <http://www.wide.ad.jp/about/foreword.html>.
- "M Root DNS Server". M.root-servers.org. Retrieved 2014-01-23.
- Esaki; et al. (2008). Broadband Internet deployment in Japan. ISBN 978-4-274-90640-4. Retrieved 14 September 2009., page 9
- "About WIDE". WIDE. Retrieved 9 September 2009.
- Ripe meetings documents Routing WG - RIPE49, retrieved 15 November 2010
|This organization-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|