|Frequency||103.1 MHz (FM)
(also on HD Radio)
103.1 HD-1 (WILK News Radio)
103.1 HD-2 (Smooth Jazz)
|First air date||1976 (as WQEQ)|
|Former callsigns||WQEQ (1976-?)
(Entercom Wilkes-Barre Scranton, LLC)
|Sister stations||WILK-AM, WKZN, WBZU|
WILK-FM is a radio station licensed to Avoca, Pennsylvania operating at a frequency of 103.1 MHz serving the Scranton/Wilkes-Barre/Hazleton radio market. The station serves as the premiere station in the regionally simulcast WILK News Radio Network, a network of four radio stations owned by Entercom carrying local news and talk programming for the region served by the stations. In 2007, WILK-FM started hybrid-digital IBOC broadcasting using the HD Radio system by Ibiquity. The main HD-1 audio channel carries the simulcast of the FM (analog) channel programming, and the HD-2 audio sub-channel carries Smooth Jazz music programming.
The radio station was originally licensed to Freeland, Pennsylvania and signed on in 1976 with the call sign WQEQ, known as "QE 103", when it ran a syndicated Top 40/Soft Rock radio format with some local news. From the late 1980s and into the early 1990s, the station switched to an oldies music radio format and was known as "Oldies 103". The station during this time period started to be simulcast on its sister station WXPX at 1300 kHz on AM. The simulcast relationship between the two stations exists again today even though both WQEQ and WXPX went through a number of call sign changes, format changes, ownership changes, and the 103.1 MHz FM signal was moved to Avoca. The stations, now known as WILK-FM and WKZN, both simulcast the WILK News Radio network.
- Brian Malina (September 24, 1995). "Part of Freeland Life Ends with Two Stations' Closure Radio Fans Reminisce As Big Changes Take Place In The Area's Entertainment Market". The Times Leader (Wilkes-Barre, Pennsylvania).
- Scott Fybush. "Northeast Radio Watch - October 6, 2003 - Pennsylvania". Retrieved October 6, 2003.
- WILK official website
- Query the FCC's FM station database for WILK
- Radio-Locator information on WILK
- Query Nielsen Audio's FM station database for WILK
- WILK-FM Signal Coverage Map from the FCC Database
|This article about a radio station in Pennsylvania is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|