|City||New Bedford, Massachusetts|
|Broadcast area||South Coast Massachusetts/Providence, Rhode Island|
|Frequency||97.3 MHz/Channel 247|
|First air date||February 22, 1949|
|Format||Portuguese and World Music|
|HAAT||152 meters (499 feet)|
|Former callsigns||WBSM-FM (1950-1972)
WJFD-FM (97.3 FM) is a radio station licensed to serve New Bedford, Massachusetts. The station is owned by Henry M. Arruda through WJFD-FM, Inc. The station's studio is located in New Bedford and its transmitter is located in Fairhaven. It airs a Portuguese language Portuguese and World Music format.
On June 23, 1975, WJFD-FM entered the air waves to carry on a Portuguese language radio format that already existed on an increasingly active basis on the 97.3 FM dial since approximately 1950, initially as WBSM-FM (1950-1972) then as WGCY-FM (1972-1975). The station was assigned the WJFD-FM call sign by the Federal Communications Commission on December 1, 1980. The station was previously owned by local prosecutor and politician Edmund Dinis from 1975 until his death on March 14, 2010 at age 85. On August 2, 2010, interest in the station was transferred to the late Dinis' close friend and business partner Henry M. Arruda. The station moved its studio from its historical downtown location on Union Street, to the third floor of the Howland Place professional building in the south end of New Bedford shortly after. In 2015 WJFD joined the iHeartRadio family of streaming radio stations, becoming the first and only Portuguese terrestrial radio station to join iHeartRadio.
- "Winter 2008 Station Information Profile". Arbitron.
- "Call Sign History". FCC Media Bureau CDBS Public Access Database.
- DENNIS HEVESI (March 20, 2010). "Edmund Dinis, Prosecutor in Chappaquiddick Case, Dies at 85". The New York Times.
- "Application for Consent to Transfer Control of Entity Holding Broadcast Station Construction Permit or License". FCC Media Bureau CDBS Public Access Database.
- WJFD-FM official website
- Query the FCC's FM station database for WJFD
- Radio-Locator information on WJFD
- Query Nielsen Audio's FM station database for WJFD
|This article about a radio station in Massachusetts is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|