|Broadcast area||Walker County, Alabama|
|Branding||Oldies 101.5 & 1240|
|Translator(s)||101.5 W268BM (Jasper)|
|First air date||1957 (as WARF)|
|Power||1,000 watts (unlimited)|
|Former callsigns||WARF (1957-2003)
|Owner||Walker County Broadcasting
(Wal Win LLC)
The station was assigned the call letters WTID by the FCC on January 9, 2003. In May 2004, New Century Radio, Inc. (Vachel L. Posey Jr., president) reached an agreement to sell WTID to Joy Christian Communications Inc. (Ed L. Smith, president) for a reported sale price of $200,000. The deal was approved by the FCC on June 28, 2004, and the transaction was consummated on July 9, 2004. At the time of the sale, the station broadcast an oldies music format. The new owners had the FCC change this station's call letters to WLYJ on September 8, 2004.
The station was assigned the call letters WZTQ by the FCC on September 17, 2007, when it swapped with then-sister station WLYJ. Just before the station was put up for sale, on January 29, 2008 the owners had the station's callsign changed again, this time to WJLX.
In February 2008, Joy Christian Communications Inc. reached an agreement to sell WJLX to Walker County Broadcasting (through their subsidiary, Wal Win LLC, headed by shareholder Brett Elmore). Wal Win LLC agreed to pay in full the mortgage held against real property (with the pay-off being $300,000) in exchange for the station. The deal was approved by the FCC on March 27, 2008, and the transaction was consummated on April 11, 2008.
On October 1, 2009 WJLX changed their format to oldies, branded as "Oldies 101.5" (the FM frequency is translator W268BM, which relays WJLX on 101.5 FM).
On March 27, 2015, WJLX was listed for sale as follows:
WJLX-AM 1240 kHz Jasper, Alabama Station Format: Oldies
Licensed Class C AM Station Power 1000 Watts Number of Towers 1 Non-Directional - 1 Pattern
Owned Real Estate: 3 acres Average Billing: $7500 a month with 1 person on staff Studio lease: $600 a month
W268BM-FM 101.5 MHz Jasper, Alabama 250 Watts
Tower lease: $100.00 a month
|City of license||ERP
- "Call Sign History". FCC Media Bureau CDBS Public Access Database.
- "Station Information Profile". Arbitron. Archived from the original on March 1, 2010.
- "AM History Profile: WJLX". Alabama Broadcast Media Page. Retrieved December 20, 2008.
- "Application Search Details (BAL-19930903GN)". FCC Media Bureau. September 27, 1993.
- "Changing Hands - 5/31/2004". Broadcasting & Cable. May 31, 2004.
- "Application Search Details (BAL-20040517ADQ)". FCC Media Bureau. July 9, 2004.
- "Deals - 3/3/2008". Broadcasting & Cable. March 2, 2008.
- "Transactions for Feb 25, 2008". Radio and Records. 2008-02-25.
- "Application Search Details (BAL-20080215AED)". FCC Media Bureau. April 11, 2008.