WKD Original Vodka
|Country of origin||United Kingdom|
|Related products||List of vodkas|
WKD is a brand or marks of alcopop produced by Beverage Brands. It is sold and heavily marketed in the United Kingdom and Ireland with the slogan ‘Have you got a WKD side?’ (Have you got a wicked side?), and also in many countries in mainland Europe. AC Nielsen ranked it as the number-one UK ready-to-drink brand in 2006.
All varieties currently contain 4% ABV. This was originally 5.5%, but it was changed to 5% in October 2003 and reduced to 4.5% on 25 July 2005. It was further reduced to 4% which it remains at as of 2019. The drink was first marketed in Scotland under the name 'Wicked' and was launched in August 1996. Initially available in 330ml bottles, the bottles were later reduced to 275ml, matching other alcopops. The individual 275ml bottles are sold in pubs, bars, and shops across the UK, with shops also selling multipacks of 4 and 12. The larger 700ml bottles are sold in shops.
For current varieties, see External links.1, 3, 4, 6 and 7 are currently sold in the standard mixed multi packs.
- WKD Original Vodka Silver
- Clear coloured, tropical flavour.
- WKD Blonde
- Yellow coloured, apple flavoured – but not cider based.
- WKD Core
- Cider-based drink, apple flavoured, green colour. Introduced 2009.
- WKD Purple
- A Mixed Berry flavour drink, purple colour.
- WKD Green
- A Green Apple flavour drink, green colour
- WKD Orange
- An Orange flavour drink, orange colour
- WKD Vegas
- A Mixed Fruit flavoured drink, dark purple colour
WKD Vodka has been heavily promoted in the UK. Promotion includes a TV advertising campaign, a national poster campaign, scoreboard sponsorship at Premiership football clubs, giving out samples in bars and clubs, sponsorship, and student tours. Their catchphrase "Have you got a WKD side?" was launched in 2000 and hit TV screens in 2001. The TV adverts feature men pulling pranks or behaving in a strange or selfish manner for the beverage.
Along with several other alcopop or RTD producers, WKD have been accused by the UK ASA of using advertising which was likely to appeal to under-18s, resulting in some of their TV adverts being banned.
There has been much debate over the pronunciation of the product's name, mainly between two sides; with some believing it to be just a repetition of the letters 'W', 'K' and 'D' and then those who call it 'wicked’.
WKD has been a sponsor of the "WKD Nuts Football Awards" since this annual event began in 2006.
- "WKD surges to become no. 1 RTD brand". Beverage Brands / AC Nielson. Retrieved 18 January 2008.
- "WKD reduces ABV and passes duty saving on to customers". SHS Drinks formerly Beverage Brands. Retrieved 18 January 2008.
- "Our Brands". SHS Drinks formerly Beverage Brands. Retrieved 8 January 2008.
- "TV alcopops adverts 'broke rules'". BBC News Online. 26 September 2006. Retrieved 8 January 2008.
|1||WKD Blue||Blue coloured, mixed-fruit flavour||1996|
|2||WKD Iron Brew||Orange coloured, Irn-Bru flavour|
|3||WKD Berry||Dark red coloured, berry flavour|
|4||WKD Mango Crush||Orange coloured, mango flavour|
|5||Passion Fruit||Peach coloured, passion fruit flavour|
|6||NKD Blueberry and Elderflower||Low calorie, violet coloured, blueberry and elderflower flavour||2018|
|7||NKD Lemon and Lime||Low calorie, light green coloured, lemon and lime flavour||2018|
|8||Pink Gin||Pink coloured, raspberry flavour||2019|
|9||Orange and Passionfruit||Yellow coloured, orange and passionfruit flavoured||2019|