WKD Original Vodka
WKD Original Vodka is a brand or marks of alcopop produced by Beverage Brands. It is sold and heavily marketed in the United Kingdom and Ireland with the slogan ‘Have you got a WKD side?’ (Have you got a wicked side?), and also in many countries in mainland Europe. AC Nielsen ranked it as the number-one UK ready-to-drink brand in 2006.
All varieties currently contain 4% ABV. This was originally 5.5%, but it was changed to 5% in October 2003 and reduced to 4.5% on 25 July 2005. The drink was first marketed in Scotland under the name 'Wicked' and was launched in August 1996. Initially available in 330ml bottles, the bottles were later reduced to 275ml, matching other alcopops. The individual 275ml bottles are sold in pubs, bars, and shops across the UK, with shops also selling multipacks of 4 and 12. The larger 700ml bottles are sold in shops.
- WKD Original Vodka Iron Brew ("WKD Orange")
- Orange coloured, Irn-Bru flavour.
- WKD Original Vodka Blue ("WKD Blue", "WKD Original")
- Blue coloured, mixed fruit flavour.
- WKD Original Vodka Red ("WKD Red")
- Red coloured, cherry flavour.
- WKD Original Vodka Silver
- Clear coloured, tropical flavour ("WKD Silver") No longer sold.
- WKD Blonde
- Yellow coloured, apple flavoured – but not cider based.
- WKD Core
- Cider-based drink, apple flavoured, green colour. Introduced 2009.
- WKD Purple
- A Mixed Berry flavour drink, purple colour.
WKD Vodka has been heavily promoted in the UK. Promotion includes a TV advertising campaign, a national poster campaign, scoreboard sponsorship at Premiership football clubs, giving out samples in bars and clubs, sponsorship, and student tours. Their catchphrase "Have you got a WKD side?" was launched in 2000 and hit TV screens in 2001. The TV adverts feature men pulling pranks or behaving in a strange or selfish manner for the beverage.
Along with several other alcopop or RTD producers, WKD have been accused by the UK ASA of using advertising which was likely to appeal to under-18s, resulting in some of their TV adverts being banned.
WKD has been a sponsor of the "WKD Nuts Football Awards" since this annual event began in 2006.
- "WKD surges to become no. 1 RTD brand". Beverage Brands / AC Nielson. Retrieved 18 January 2008.
- "WKD reduces ABV and passes duty saving on to customers". SHS Drinks formerly Beverage Brands. Retrieved 18 January 2008.
- "Our Brands". SHS Drinks formerly Beverage Brands. Retrieved 8 January 2008.
- "TV alcopops adverts 'broke rules'". BBC News Online. 26 September 2006. Retrieved 8 January 2008.