|City||Battle Creek, Michigan|
|Broadcast area||Kalamazoo-Battle Creek|
|Slogan||Today's Best Music|
|Frequency||103.3 MHz (also on HD Radio)|
|Translator(s)||102.5 W273AR (Paw Paw, relays HD2)|
|First air date||June 11, 1963 (as WELL-FM)|
|Format||Top 40 (CHR)
HD2: Country "Kalamazoo's Country"
|Callsign meaning||Represents station's moniker when it was known as "Keener 14" WKFR|
|Former callsigns||WELL-FM (1963-64)|
(Townsquare Media Kalamazoo License, LLC)
Listen Live (HD2)
WKFR-FM, also known as KFR, is a Top 40 outlet serving the Kalamazoo, Michigan radio market. The station's frequency is 103.3 MHz on the FM dial with an ERP of 50 kW. They are owned by Townsquare Media. 103.3 KFR plays a mix of hit music from the 1980s through today's hits.
The station began operations in June 1963 as WELL-FM at 96.5 megahertz, duplicating the programming of then-sister WELL/1400 (now WBFN). In 1964 WELL-AM-FM became WKFR-AM-FM; the AM station became Top 40 rocker "Keener 14" while the FM station, which also moved to 103.3 Megahertz, programmed Beautiful Music. In 1972 WKFR changed its calls to WKNR after those calls were dropped by the former WKNR in Detroit, but the FM station remained WKFR-FM. By the end of the 1970s, WKFR-FM had evolved from "good music" to an adult contemporary format. In 1981 WKFR finally inherited the Top 40 format from WKNR and has had it ever since.
On August 30, 2013, a deal was announced in which Townsquare Media would acquire 53 Cumulus Media stations, including WKFR-FM, for $238 million. The deal is part of Cumulus' acquisition of Dial Global; Townsquare and Dial Global are both controlled by Oaktree Capital Management. The sale was consummated effective November 14, 2013.
- "Official: Cumulus Buys Dial Global, Spins Some Stations To Townsquare; Peak Stations Sold To Townsquare, Fresno Spun To Cumulus". All Access. August 30, 2013. Retrieved August 30, 2013.
- "Cumulus Makes Dial Global And Townsquare Deals Official". RadioInsight. August 30, 2013. Retrieved August 30, 2013.
- WKFR official website
- Query the FCC's FM station database for WKFR
- Radio-Locator information on WKFR
- Query Nielsen Audio's FM station database for WKFR
- Query the FCC's FM station database for W273AR
- Radio-Locator information on W273AR