|Broadcast area||Champaign-Urbana, Illinois|
|Branding||Classic Hits 107.9|
|First air date||1991 (as WZNX)|
|Former callsigns||WZNX (1991–1994)|
|Owner||Community Media Group, Inc. |
(Champaign Multimedia Group, LLC)
|Sister stations||WDWS, WHMS|
WKIO (107.9 FM, "Classic Hits 107.9") is a radio station broadcasting a classic hits format. Licensed to Arcola, Illinois, United States, the station is currently owned by The News-Gazette ,and serves the Champaign, Illinois metropolitan area.
The station went on the air as WZNX on 1991-09-06 and changed its call sign to WKJR on November 1, 1994. On May 5, 1997, the station again changed its call sign to WXET before finally changing them to WUIL on May 7, 2008, upon its switch to a Rhythmic contemporary format from hot adult contemporary.
In June 2010, WUIL was sold to the Stevick family, which also owns WDWS and WHMS. All on-air personnel were let go. The station relaunched as "U-Rock 107.9", playing various rock formats. The switch was made with station General Manager Mike Haile's introduction of "Ladies and Gentlemen...rock and roll." The station has a popular contest where it allows listeners to submit and air their "Perfect Ten" rock songs. The station then plays these selections on Thursdays.
In March 2013, WUIL applied to change its call sign to WKIO, signaling a format change.
On March 26, 2013 WUIL changed their format from rock to classic hits, branded as "Classic Hits 107.9" under the new WKIO call sign.
Former U-Rock air staff
- Orion Buckingham
- Dave Loane
- Brian Moline
- Mark Reynolds
- Lee Marcus
- Ethan VanDeveer
- Patti Good
- "WUIL Facility Record". United States Federal Communications Commission, audio division.
- "WXET Call Sign History". United States Federal Communications Commission, audio division.
- "Format Changes". Your Midwest Media. Archived from the original on March 17, 2013. Retrieved January 26, 2013.
- URock Champaign-Urban Shifts to Classic Hits Radioinsight - March 26, 2013
- Query the FCC's FM station database for WKIO
- Radio-Locator information on WKIO
- Query Nielsen Audio's FM station database for WKIO
|This article about a radio station in Illinois is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|