|Atlantic City, New Jersey/Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
|City||Atlantic City, New Jersey|
|Slogan||Tri-State Area's Independent TV Station|
|Channels||Digital: 44 (UHF)
Virtual: 44 (PSIP)
44.2 The Action Channel
|Affiliations||Independent (mid December 2014–present)|
|Owner||Lenfest Broadcasting, LLC
(WMCN License Holdings, LLC)
|First air date||May 29, 1981|
|Call letters' meaning||Market
|Former callsigns||WWAC-TV (1981–2003)|
|Former channel number(s)||53 (UHF analog, 1981–2002)|
|Former affiliations||Bounce TV (mid December 2014)|
|Transmitter power||200 kW|
|Height||212 m (696 ft)
AMSL: 241 m (791 ft)
|Transmitter coordinates||WMCN-TV, Waterford, New Jersey
41 dBu Service contour
|Public license information:||Profile
WMCN-TV, UHF digital channel 44, is an independent television station serving Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States that is licensed to Atlantic City, New Jersey. The station is owned by Lenfest Broadcasting, LLC. WMCN maintains studio facilities in Cherry Hill, New Jersey, and its transmitter is located in Waterford Works, New Jersey.
It is carried throughout the market by DirecTV, Dish Network, Verizon FiOS and on most Comcast cable systems. WMCN is also carried on cable in Ocean County (part of the New York City television market) on Comcast channel 27 in standard definition, and on digital channel 794 in high definition.
The station first signed on the air on May 29, 1981 as WWAC-TV, originally broadcasting on UHF channel 53. The station changed its callsign to WMCN-TV in 2003. In 2009, the station was rebranded as "Get It On TV Philadelphia" to reflect its focus on the entire Philadelphia market, not just Atlantic City. Most of the station's programming consisted of infomercials, many of which were produced by WMCN for local companies. The remainder of WMCN's schedule is filled with several hours per week of regional faith-based telecasts as well as children's and community interest programming.
In 2012, the station was once again rebranded as "WMCN44," signaling a shift towards a more traditional independent station. WMCN also added several syndicated programs to its schedule, including Cold Case Files, Dog the Bounty Hunter and Punk'd. On September 10 of that year, WMCN announced that it would produce three new original weekly series: A New View, an issues-oriented show hosted by former WTXF-TV (channel 29) personality Dawn Strensland, Tolly's Awesome Friends, a series centered on noteworthy locals hosted by ex-WTXF sports director Don Tollefson, and Philly Sports Spotlight, a locally focused series hosted by former WPVI-TV (channel 6) sports anchor Phil Andrews.
On December 4, 2014 voluntary assignment of the station's license was changed from Lenfest Broadcasting, LLC to WMCN License Holdings, LLC, which will have exactly the same ownership structure as Lenfest.
In the fall of 2016, WMCN added programming from Newsmax TV during the 4-6 PM and 8-9 PM hours, as well as nightly broadcasts of the Cowtown Rodeo and NASCAR's Raceline TV program, plus the weekly Ring of Honor Wrestling series.
|Channel||Video||Aspect||PSIP Short Name||Programming|
|44.1||720p||16:9||WMCN-HD||Main WMCN-TV programming|
|44.2||480i||4:3||WMCN-SD||The Action Channel|
|Table data as of May 28, 2015|
On December 15, 2014, WMCN-TV lost its affiliation with Bounce TV; sub-channel 44.2 was temporarily replaced with SMPTE color bars. Just over 2 weeks later, on December 31 Soul of the South Network took over the frequency.
WMCN discontinued regular programming on its analog signal, over UHF channel 53, on October 2002. The station's digital signal began operating on UHF channel 44, instead of its former UHF analog channel 53, which was among the high band UHF channels (52-69) that were removed from broadcasting use as a result of the digital television transition in 2009. WMCN was the first television station in the United States to receive permission from the Federal Communications Commission to discontinue its analog signal. The move to digital channel 44 was intended to provide better signal coverage of the Philadelphia market from a new transmitter location which would qualify for must-carry status on cable television in the metropolitan area.
- "FCC - Ownership Report Search Results - Facility ID 9739". http://licensing.fcc.gov/cgi-bin/ws.exe/prod/cdbs/pubacc/prod/own_list.pl?Facility_id=9739. Federal Communications Commission. Retrieved 5 January 2015. External link in
- "FCC - ALTC Group Search Results - Facility ID 9739". http://licensing.fcc.gov/cgi-bin/ws.exe/prod/cdbs/pubacc/prod/altc_list.pl?Facility_id=9739. Federal Communications Commission. Retrieved 5 January 2015. External link in
- "FCC - Call Sign History - Facility ID 9739". http://licensing.fcc.gov/cgi-bin/ws.exe/prod/cdbs/pubacc/prod/call_hist.pl?Facility_id=9739&Callsign=(see%20latest%20begin%20date). Federal Communications Commission. Retrieved 5 January 2015. External link in
- FCC Allows Early Analog Shutoff, TV Technology NewsBytes, October 10, 2002
- FCC grants Atlantic City station WWAC-TV request to turn off NTSC, Broadcast Engineering, October 11, 2002
- WMCN Channel 44 to carry Philadelphia Soul games, Philadelphia Business Journal, March 31, 2011
- Dawn Stensland, Don Tollefson, Phil Andrews launch new TV shows, Philly.com, September 10, 2012
- "FCC - Application Search Details - BALCDT-20141103AEP". http://licensing.fcc.gov/cgi-bin/ws.exe/prod/cdbs/pubacc/prod/app_det.pl?Application_id=1656611. Federal Communication Commission. Retrieved 5 January 2015. External link in
- "FCC 316 - APPLICATION FOR CONSENT TO ASSIGN BROADCAST STATION CONSTRUCTION PERMIT OR LICENSE OR TO TRANSFER CONTROL OF ENTITY HOLDING BROADCAST STATION CONSTRUCTION PERMIT OR LICENSE - BALCDT-20141103AEP". http://licensing.fcc.gov/cgi-bin/ws.exe/prod/cdbs/forms/prod/prefill_and_display.pl?Application_id=1656611&Service=DT&Form_id=316&Facility_id=9739. Federal Communications Commission. Retrieved 5 January 2015. External link in
- RabbitEars TV Query for WMCN
- "Soul of the South". http://www.ssn.tv/. Soul Of The South TV. Retrieved 2 January 2015. External link in
- Bounce TV Adds 2 Cities Ahead Of Launch, Deadline.com, August 22, 2011.
- "DTV Tentative Channel Designations for the First and Second Rounds" (PDF). Retrieved 2012-03-24.
- Official website
- Query the FCC's TV station database for WMCN-TV
- FCC TV Station Profiles & Public Inspection Files for WMCN
- BIAfn's Media Web Database -- Information on WMCN-TV
- RabbitEars.Info -- Digital TV Market Listing for WMCN - Facility ID 9739
- RabbitEars.Info -- WMCN ATLANTIC CITY, NJ - Facility ID 9739
- Titan TV Guide for WMCN