|City||Oneida, New York|
|Branding||"Variety 101.1 FM • 1600 AM"|
|Slogan||"Oneida Madison County Radio"|
|Translator(s)||101.1 W266DJ (Oneida)|
|First air date||September 26, 1956|
|Power||1,000 watts day|
20 watts night
|Callsign meaning||Madison County Radio|
|Former callsigns||WONG (1956–1961)|
|Owner||Letitia and Robert English |
(Towercast Media, LLC)
The station signed on September 26, 1956 as WONG, owned by John J. Geiger; it was transferred by 1959 to Madison County Broadcasting Corporation, which changed the call letters to WMCR on April 26, 1961 The station was sold to Chenor Communications in 1965, and to Warren Broadcasting Company in 1969.
At one time, the station simulcast with sister station WMCR-FM (106.3 FM, now WCIT-FM), which Warren signed on in 1972. After co-owner Bill Warren died in 2005, his wife Vivian Warren maintained full ownership of the stations, but ultimately decided to sell in 2009 after receiving an offer from Leatherstocking Media Group. Leatherstocking immediately announced plans to split the simulcast, and did so on February 11, 2010, when WMCR began simulcasting WFBL, a talk radio station in Syracuse.
On September 2, 2016, WMCR went silent. WMCR resumed broadcasting on July 21, 2017. Effective December 29, 2017, Leatherstocking Media sold WMCR to Towercast Media.
|City of license||Facility
|Class||Transmitter coordinates||FCC info|
|W266DJ||101.3||Oneida, New York||201474||250||D||FCC|
- "WMCR Facility Record". United States Federal Communications Commission, audio division.
- Broadcasting Yearbook 1981 (PDF). 1981. p. C-161. Retrieved February 14, 2010.
- Broadcasting Yearbook 1957 (PDF). 1957. p. 188. Retrieved February 14, 2010.
- Broadcasting Yearbook 1959 (PDF). 1959. p. B-197. Retrieved February 14, 2010.
- Broadcasting Yearbook 1961-62 (PDF). 1961. p. B-111. Retrieved February 14, 2010.[permanent dead link]
- "WMCR history cards" (PDF). CDBS Public Access. Federal Communications Commission. Retrieved May 2, 2017.
- Broadcasting Yearbook 1967 (PDF). 1967. p. B-111. Retrieved February 14, 2010.
- Broadcasting Yearbook 1971 (PDF). 1971. p. B-143. Retrieved February 14, 2010.
- Fybush, Scott (March 23, 2009). "ABC's Weber Murdered in Brooklyn". NorthEast Radio Watch. Retrieved February 14, 2010.
- Migdail-Smith, Liam (July 3, 2009). "WMCR radio changing as it stays the same". The Oneida Daily Dispatch. Retrieved February 14, 2010.
- "Local Radio Listeners Now Have a New Option". Madison County Courier. February 11, 2010. Retrieved February 14, 2010.
- Official website
- Query the FCC's AM station database for WMCR
- Radio-Locator Information on WMCR
- Query Nielsen Audio's AM station database for WMCR
- Query the FCC's FM station database for W266DJ
- Radio-Locator information on W266DJ
- FCC History Cards for WMCR
|This article about a radio station in New York is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|