|City||Toms River, New Jersey|
|Branding||New Jersey Public Radio|
|First air date||August 23, 2008|
|Format||Public radio (news/talk, jazz)|
|ERP||1 watts (horizontal)
4,000 watts (vertical)
|HAAT||37 meters (121 ft)|
|Callsign meaning||W New Jersey Ocean|
Public Radio International
American Public Media
|Owner||New York Public Radio|
WNJO (90.3 FM) is a radio station licensed to Toms River, New Jersey, with the transmitter located on the Barnegat Peninsula south of Seaside Park. The station is owned by New York Public Radio, and is an affiliate of their New Jersey Public Radio network.
WNYC assumed control of the stations that make up NJPR under a management agreement on July 1, 2011. Previously, WNJO had been part of New Jersey Network's radio service.
WNJO was knocked off-the-air along with the rest of the NJPR network when its transmitter took a heavy hit from Hurricane Sandy. While WNJO's sister stations all came back online on November 3, it took until December 14 to get WNJO back on the air because the Barnegat Peninsula was inaccessible from mainland New Jersey for some time after the storm. New York Public Radio engineering director Jim Stagnitto initially thought the transmitter had been carried into Barnegat Bay, but he and his team found the transmitter intact when they were finally able to inspect the site. However, WNJO's coverage area didn't lose access to NPR programming. It is one of the few portions of the NJPR service area that gets a clear signal from the WNYC stations, and WNJZ—a satellite of Philadelphia's WHYY-FM—also covers the area with a decent signal.
- Lapin, Andrew. WNJO transmitter back on-air nearly six weeks after Sandy. Current, 2012-12-11.
- "Stagnitto: A View From New York". Radio World. 2 November 2012. Retrieved 5 November 2012.
- Fybush, Scott (29 October – 2 November 2012). "NERW 10/29/2012: Sandy Takes Aim at NERW-land (with Friday update)". Northeast Radio Watch. Retrieved 5 November 2012.
- Query the FCC's FM station database for WNJO
- Radio-Locator information on WNJO
- Query Nielsen Audio's FM station database for WNJO
|This article about a radio station in New Jersey is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|