|Broadcast area||Tuscaloosa, Alabama|
|Branding||Tide 102.9 FM|
|Slogan||The Home Of Alabama Sports|
|Translator(s)||100.9 W265CG (Tuscaloosa)|
|First air date||1991|
|HAAT||202 meters (663 ft)|
|Callsign meaning||W MarioN PoinT (former format)|
|Former callsigns||WBAN (9/1989-11/1989, CP)|
(Townsquare Media Tuscaloosa License, LLC)
|Sister stations||WTUG, WFFN, WBEI, WTSK, WTBC|
WNPT-FM (102.9 FM, "Tide 102.9") is an American radio station licensed to serve Marion, Alabama, USA. The station, which began regular broadcast operations in 1991, is currently owned by Townsquare Media.
During the 1990s WNPT was known as "The Point" and played an Urban/R&B music format. More recently, the station aired a classic country music format as "Catfish Country 102.9". In March 2009, WNPT picked up the satellite-fed version of Adult Hits giant Jack FM.
This station received its original construction permit from the Federal Communications Commission on March 2, 1988, for a new 3,000 watt station broadcasting at 102.9 MHz in Linden, Alabama. The new station was assigned the call letters WBAN by the FCC on September 18, 1989. The callsign was quickly changed to the current WNPT-FM on November 28, 1989. WNPT-FM received its license to cover from the FCC on February 23, 1993.
In March 1997, original owners Linden Radio Joint Venture reached an agreement to sell this station to Willis Broadcasting Corporation. The deal was approved by the FCC on April 30, 1997, and the transaction was consummated on May 10, 1997.
In February 2001, Willis Broadcasting Corporation faced significant financial difficulties and foreclosure proceedings in the Circuit Court for Marengo County, Alabama, forced the company into receivership. On March 5, 2001, an application was filed with the FCC to name Beckham Palmer III as receiver "for the purpose of protecting the FCC license". The transfer was approved by the FCC on March 14, 2001, and the completed on March 15, 2001.
In June 2001, receiver Beckham Palmer III reached an agreement to sell this station to Jason Schmitt for $450,000 and certain considerations. The deal was approved by the FCC on August 13, 2001, but Schmitt was unable to complete the transaction and the license remained with Palmer. In late July 2001, the station first applied to the FCC for permission to go off the air temporarily and remain silent, citing financial issues. The station was off the air for several long stretches until resuming normal operations in early March 2003.
In October 2003, receiver Beckham Palmer III reached a new agreement to sell this station, this time to John Sisty Enterprises, Inc., for a reported sale price of $450,000. The deal was approved by the FCC on November 18, 2003, and the transaction was consummated on November 28, 2003. In October 2004, the station received FCC authorization to change its community of license from Linden to Marion, Alabama.
In May 2016, it was announced that Townsquare Media would be buying the AM (WTBC) and FM (WNPT) stations for $550,000. (Alabama Broadcast Media Page) According to published reports, WNPT FM was announced to flip to Sports and WTBC AM/FM would retain the Catfish Country format, once the new owners take over. The sale to Townsquare Media was consummated on July 15, 2016.
On June 30, 2016, this station was scheduled to flip to Sports under the new Tide 102.9 FM name. Details about this change can be found here: http://tide991.com/tide-99-1-will-soon-become-tide-102-9-in-tuscaloosa/ The flip to Tide 102.9 Sports happened at 3 P.M.
On December 16, 2008, WNPT-FM was granted a construction permit to relocate their transmitter north to 32°49'46"N, 87°25'46"W, along with a raise in antenna height above average terrain to 202 meters (663 feet), and a drop in effective radiated power to 24,000 watts. The move will greatly increase signal coverage in Tuscaloosa as well as the southern and western areas in and around Birmingham, Alabama. This permit is scheduled to expire on December 16, 2011.
- "Station Information Profile". Arbitron. Retrieved July 14, 2009.
- "Application Search Details (BPH-19860707NE)". FCC Media Bureau. March 2, 1988.
- "Call Sign History". FCC Media Bureau CDBS Public Access Database. Retrieved July 14, 2009.
- "Application Search Details (BLH-19910318KE)". FCC Media Bureau. February 23, 1993.
- "Application Search Details (BALH-19970304GN)". FCC Media Bureau. May 10, 1997.
- "Application Search Details (BALH-20010305AAC)". FCC Media Bureau. March 15, 2001.
- "Application Search Details (BALH-20010606AAC)". FCC Media Bureau. August 13, 2001.
- "Application Search Details (BLSTA-20010720ACI)". FCC Media Bureau. March 11, 2002.
- "Application Search Details (BLSTA-20021114ACY)". FCC Media Bureau. December 10, 2002.
- "Changing Hands - 2003-11-10". Broadcasting & Cable. November 10, 2003.
- "Application Search Details (BALH-20031007ADA)". FCC Media Bureau. November 28, 2003.
- "Application Search Details (BPH-20040505ABD)". FCC Media Bureau. October 25, 2004.
- "Predicted coverage area for WNPT 102.9 FM, Marion, AL (construction permit)". Radio Locator. Retrieved February 11, 2009.