||This article includes a list of references, related reading or external links, but its sources remain unclear because it lacks inline citations. (August 2012)|
|City of license||Medford, New York|
|Broadcast area||Long Island|
|Branding||Radio Cantico Nuevo|
|Power||1,000 watts (day only)|
|Former callsigns||WBAB (1958-1976)|
|Owner||Radio Cantico Nuevo, Inc.|
WNYG's daytime signal used to be heard in Nassau and Suffolk Counties, the southern coast of Connecticut and the Jersey Shore. Post-sunset, WNYG dropped down to 38 watts -- enough to cover Babylon, its original city of license.
The 1440 frequency signed on in 1958 as WBAB with 500 watts daytime only. It later became WNYG in 1976 after WBAB's companion FM station stopped simulcasting the 1440 signal.
Since WNYG's inception, two formats have been the longest lasting: the Christian Contemporary format, and the previous Oldies format which ran from January 10, 1988 until April 17, 1994.
On November 2, 2009, WNYG ceased broadcasting the eight-year-old Christian Format that had been branded "The Spirit of New York Radio".
On May 26, 2010, Multicultural Radio Broadcasting sold the station to Radio Cantico Nuevo, Inc for $150,000.
On July 1, 2010, the station went silent.
On July 18, 2011, the station was turned on in the City of Medford, New York.
On June 28, 2012 WNYG was granted a U.S. Federal Communications Commission construction permit to add night operation with 196 watts using a directional antenna. Day operation will continue to be 1,000 watts using a non directional antenna. The construction permit will expire on June 28, 2015.
Radio Cantico Nuevo is also heard on these stations.
- W252CS — licensed to Brooklyn, New York
- W268AN — licensed to Plainview, New York
- W292DV — licensed to New York, New York
- WJDM — licensed to Elizabeth, New Jersey
- WNYH — licensed to Huntington, New York
- WPDI — licensed to Hazlet, New Jersey
- Radio Cantico Nuevo official website
- Query the FCC's AM station database for WNYG
- Radio-Locator Information on WNYG
- Query Nielsen Audio's AM station database for WNYG
- 1440 AM/102.3 FM WBAB BABYLON (1958)
|This article about a radio station in New York is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|