|City||Dover, New Hampshire|
York County, Maine
North Of Boston
|Branding||The Big 97-5 WOKQ|
|Slogan||New England's Best Country|
|Translator(s)||97.9 W250AB (Manchester)|
|First air date||August 1970 (as WDNH)|
|Former callsigns||WDNH (1970-1977)|
(Townsquare Media Portsmouth License, LLC)
WOKQ is an FM radio station broadcasting on 97.5 MHz. and airs a country music format.
The transmitter is located in Barrington, New Hampshire with the station's city of license being Dover, New Hampshire. The studios are located in Dover. WOKQ also operates a simulcast on W250AB on 97.9, a translator in Manchester. It brands itself as "The Big 97.5".
Its broadcasts can be heard as far south as Cape Cod on clear days. The protected range of its signal reaches five states and two countries.
WOKQ was put on the air in August 1970 by Eastminster Broadcasting Company under the call letters WDNH. Its country format was in place by 1972. Eastminster sold WDNH to Fuller-Jeffrey Broadcasting in 1977, at which point it became WOKQ. Fuller-Jeffrey was sold to Citadel Broadcasting in 1999. Citadel merged with Cumulus Media on September 16, 2011.
On August 30, 2013, a deal was announced in which Townsquare Media would acquire 53 Cumulus stations, including WOKQ and WPKQ, for $238 million. The deal is part of Cumulus' acquisition of Dial Global; Townsquare and Dial Global are both controlled by Oaktree Capital Management. The sale to Townsquare was completed on November 14, 2013.
WOKQ also broadcasts on the following translator:
|City of license||ERP
|W250AB||97.9||Manchester, New Hampshire||250||FCC|
- Broadcasting Yearbook 1981 (PDF). 1981. p. C-146. Retrieved February 18, 2010.
- Broadcasting Yearbook 1972 (PDF). 1972. p. B-130. Retrieved February 18, 2010.
- Broadcasting Yearbook 1973 (PDF). 1973. pp. B–124–5. Retrieved February 18, 2010.
- Fybush, Scott (April 30, 1999). "Fuller-Jeffrey Sells Out". North East RadioWatch. Retrieved February 18, 2010.
- "Cumulus now owns Citadel Broadcasting". Atlanta Business Journal. September 16, 2011. Retrieved September 16, 2011.
- "Official: Cumulus Buys Dial Global, Spins Some Stations To Townsquare; Peak Stations Sold To Townsquare, Fresno Spun To Cumulus". All Access. August 30, 2013. Retrieved August 30, 2013.
- "Cumulus Makes Dial Global And Townsquare Deals Official". RadioInsight. August 30, 2013. Retrieved August 30, 2013.
- "Cumulus-Townsquare-Peak Deal Closes". All Access. November 15, 2013. Retrieved November 16, 2013.