This article includes a list of references, related reading or external links, but its sources remain unclear because it lacks inline citations. (September 2011) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|City||New Haven, Connecticut|
|Broadcast area||New Haven, Connecticut|
|Slogan||Connecticut's #1 Rock Station!|
|Frequency||99.1 MHz (also on HD Radio)|
|First air date||1944 (as WNHC-FM)|
HD2: Alternative rock "Mod"
|HAAT||276 meters (906 ft)|
|Former callsigns||WNHC-FM (1944-1970)|
Connoisseur Media |
(Connoisseur Media Licenses, LLC)
|Sister stations||WEZN-FM, WFOX, WYBC-FM|
Listen Live (HD2)
WPLR (99.1 FM, also known as "99.1 PLR" or "Connecticut's #1 Rock Station") licensed to New Haven, Connecticut, is a classic rock station owned by Connoisseur Media as of May 10, 2013. The station's playlist goes from Jimi Hendrix to Led Zeppelin to Pearl Jam to the modern era. PLR is a traditional ratings powerhouse in Southern Connecticut, though it provides city-grade coverage to most of the state, including Hartford. In recent years, format changes at Hartford stations have allowed it to gain more of a statewide audience.
The station, which first went on the air in 1944 as WNHC-FM, has a history as a pioneer in the AOR format, with which it has closely identified since its inception in the early 1970s.
The physical location of the station has also changed as the studios are now co-located with other radio stations in Milford, Connecticut. Previously, the studios were located in Hamden, Connecticut and prior to that the offices and studios were on Chapel Street in New Haven, Connecticut. The station's transmitter is located in Hamden, Connecticut.
On September 18, 2017 at 10:23 am WPLR launched an alternative rock format on its HD2 subchannel, branded as "Mod 102.3" (simulcast on translator W272DO 102.3 FM New Haven). The first song on Mod was "First" by Cold War Kids.
- Connoisseur Media to buy Cox Radio's Connecticut stations
- Venta, Lance (May 6, 2013). "Cox Sells Stations In Six Markets To Two Groups". RadioInsight. Retrieved May 28, 2013.
- Connoisseur Launching Mod 102.3 New Haven Radioinsight - September 17, 2017
- Mod 102.3 Debuts Format Change Archive - September 19, 2017
- Venta, Lance (January 15, 2018). "Red Wolf Broadcasting Acquires Connoisseur Media's Hartford Properties". RadioInsight. Retrieved January 18, 2018.
- 99.1 PLR official website
- Query the FCC's FM station database for WPLR
- Radio-Locator information on WPLR
- Query Nielsen Audio's FM station database for WPLR
|This article about a radio station in Connecticut is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|