|Broadcast area||Athens, Georgia|
|Slogan||"Athens/Atlanta's #1 Hit Music Station"|
|Former callsigns||WLOV, WGPL, WXKT|
(Cox Radio, Inc.)
|Sister stations||WNGC, WGAU, WXKT, WGMG, WRFC|
WPUP (100.1 FM, "Power 100.1") is a radio station broadcasting a top 40 format. Licensed to the Athens, Ga. suburb of Watkinsville, it serves the Athens-Atlanta metropolitan area. It first began broadcasting in Washington in 1978 under the callsign WLOV-FM. It is currently owned by Cox Radio.
The station went on the air as WLOV-FM on Dec. 1, 1978; on Oct. 1, 1984 became WGPL; and on Dec. 1, 1998, WXKT. On August 14, 1998, Cumulus Media purchased WLOV-AM and WLOV-FM from P&T Broadcasting for $533,000. In August 2008, WPUP was sold (along with sister stations WGMG, WNGC, WRFC, and WGAU) to Cox Radio in Atlanta. Cox swapped callsigns, moving WXKT to 103.7 and changing 100.1 FM to the current WPUP. The two stations began simulcasting the "Bulldog" classic-rock format; WXKT 100.1 had previously programmed a "Real Country" format.
On September 30, 2009, WPUP dopped the "Bulldog" classic-rock format and began stunting as "Obama Government Controlled Radio at 100.1 FM". Station identifiers claimed (jokingly) that the station has been taken over by the government: it intermittently simulcast the Hawaiian music format of KCCN-FM in Honolulu, played clips from speeches by President Obama, and played other music he might enjoy, such as the theme song to Shaft.
The WXKT callsign remains on 103.7 FM, which changed its city of license from Washington to Maysville and now programs variety adult hits for the Gainesville-Athens market.
- "WXKT Facility Record". United States Federal Communications Commission, audio division.
- "WXKT Call Sign History". United States Federal Communications Commission, audio division.
- "Cumulus Media Inc. CMLS Annual Report (10-K)". EDGAR Online. 1998-12-31. Retrieved 2010-12-13.
- "Deals," Broadcasting & Cable, January 28, 2008.
- "Cox Closes On Athens Cluster". allaccess.com. 2008-08-01. Retrieved 2010-12-13.
- ""Obama Radio" is the temporary stunt format at WPUP-FM, Athens, GA". Radio-Info.com. October 1, 2009.
- Query the FCC's FM station database for WPUP
- Radio-Locator information on WPUP
- Query Nielsen Audio's FM station database for WPUP
|This article about a radio station in the state of Georgia is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|