Nel in 2017
|Birth name||Willem Petrus Nel|
|Date of birth||30 April 1986|
|Place of birth||Loeriesfontein, South Africa|
|Height||1.80 m (5 ft 11 in)|
|Weight||114 kg (17 st 13 lb; 251 lb)|
|Rugby union career|
Willem Petrus Nel (born 30 April 1986) is a South African-born Scottish rugby union player. He plays as a prop for Edinburgh Rugby in the Pro14. He previously played for Free State Cheetahs, Western Province and the Boland Cavaliers.
Career in Scotland
Nel joined Scottish Pro 12 side Edinburgh in July 2012.
After three years at Murrayfield Stadium, Nel became eligible to represent Scotland in June 2015, and claimed he would decline an invitation to represent his native Springboks in order to do so. He made his international bow against Italy during the 2015 summer Tests, and was subsequently named in the final 31-man squad for the 2015 Rugby World Cup.
He scored his first international try in the 39–16 World Cup match against the USA.
Nel played in all of Scotland's matches in the 2016 Six Nations but missed the 2016 Autumn Internationals and the entire 2017 Six Nations due to a neck injury.
In March 2017 it was announced that Nel had signed a three-year extension to his contract with Edinburgh.
- "Edinburgh secure Cheetahs prop WP Nel for next season". bbc.co.uk. 2012-02-15. Retrieved 2012-10-25.
- Lyall, Jamie Edinburgh's WP Nel nails colours to Scotland mast BBC Sport. September 6, 3015
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2015-10-01. Retrieved 2015-09-01.CS1 maint: Archived copy as title (link)
- Cotter Names 31-man Scotland Squad Scottish Rugby. September 6, 2015
- "WP Nel: Scotland prop signs new three-year deal at Edinburgh". BBC Sport. Retrieved 30 March 2017.
- "SA Rugby Player Profile – WP Nel". South African Rugby Union. Retrieved 4 June 2016.
- itsrugby.co.uk profile
|This South Africa rugby union biography is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|