|City||WSAK: Hampton, New Hampshire
WSHK: Kittery, Maine
|Broadcast area||Seacoast Region & North of Boston |
|Branding||102-1 & 105-3 - The Shark|
|Slogan||Classic Hits for the Seacoast.|
|Frequency||WSAK: 102.1 MHz
WSHK: 105.3 MHz
|First air date||WSAK: August 1992
WSHK: November 1992 (as WXBB)
|ERP||WSAK: 3,000 watts
WSHK: 2,200 watts
|HAAT||WSAK: 100 meters
WSHK: 113 meters
|Facility ID||WSAK: 12155
|Transmitter coordinates||WSAK: Coordinates:
|Callsign meaning||WSAK: The ShArK
WSHK: The SHarK
(Townsquare Media Portsmouth License, LLC)
The Shark is an American FM radio Classic Hits-formatted duopoly in the Seacoast Region of New Hampshire, United States. Its two stations are WSAK (102.1 MHz; Hampton) and WSHK (105.3 MHz; Kittery, Maine), with broadcast studios located in Dover. The station's program format is almost exclusively classic hits. A few specialty programs are carried: The House of Blues Radio Hour with Dan "Elwood Blues" Aykroyd, and "The Reporter's File", a public affairs program, both on Sundays. The station was previously the only New Hampshire station to carry the syndicated Bob & Tom Show morning show. It no longer carries that program, instead using its own local DJs on The Shark Morning Show.
The station is owned by Townsquare Media. It formerly broadcast as "Arrow", on the same frequencies and with a similar format, but using call letters WXBB and WXBP. The change to the new name and call was made in March 2000. Citadel Broadcasting acquired the station in August 1999 when it purchased Fuller-Jeffrey Broadcasting Companies. Citadel merged with Cumulus Media on September 16, 2011.
On August 30, 2013, a deal was announced in which Townsquare Media would acquire 53 Cumulus stations, including WSAK/WSHK, for $238 million. The deal was part of Cumulus' acquisition of Dial Global; Townsquare and Dial Global are both controlled by Oaktree Capital Management. The sale to Townsquare was completed on November 14, 2013.
- Broadcasting & Cable Yearbook 1999 (PDF). 1999. p. D-199; D-280. Retrieved March 15, 2015.
- "The Shark – Contact Us". Retrieved 2008-05-29.
- "HOB Affiliate Radio Stations". Retrieved 2008-05-29.
- Scott Fybush (2000-03-03). "North East RadioWatch". Retrieved 2008-05-29.
- "Citadel 8-K/A SEC Filing". 1999-12-03. Retrieved 2008-05-29.
- "Cumulus now owns Citadel Broadcasting". Atlanta Business Journal. September 16, 2011. Retrieved September 16, 2011.
- "Official: Cumulus Buys Dial Global, Spins Some Stations To Townsquare; Peak Stations Sold To Townsquare, Fresno Spun To Cumulus". All Access. August 30, 2013. Retrieved August 30, 2013.
- "Cumulus Makes Dial Global And Townsquare Deals Official". RadioInsight. August 30, 2013. Retrieved August 30, 2013.
- "Cumulus-Townsquare-Peak Deal Closes". All Access. November 15, 2013. Retrieved November 16, 2013.