|City||Great Barrington, Massachusetts|
|Broadcast area||Berkshire County|
|Branding||860 AM/94.1 FM WSBS|
|Slogan||First For News|
Your Hometown Station
|Translator(s)||W231AK 94.1 Great Barrington|
|First air date||December 24, 1956|
|Power||2,700 watts day|
250 watts critical hours
4 watts night
(translator 250 watts)
|Callsign meaning||Southern Berkshire Station|
|Affiliations||AP Radio, Boston Red Sox Radio Network|
|Owner||Townsquare Media |
(Townsquare Media Pittsfield License, LLC)
|Sister stations||WBEC, WBEC-FM, WNAW, WUPE, WUPE-FM|
WSBS's programming is simulcast in stereo on the FM band via translator station W231AK, at 94.1 MHz.  Because AM 860 is a Canadian clear channel frequency, WSBS must reduce power at night to only 4 watts to avoid interfering with Class A station CJBC in Toronto, Ontario. But the translator allows listeners to tune in around the clock, even if they live outside the limited nighttime coverage range.
In August 2013, Gamma Broadcasting reached a deal to sell its Berkshire County radio stations, including WSBS, to Reed Miami Holdings; the sale was canceled on December 30, 2013. In October 2016, Gamma agreed to sell its stations to Galaxy Communications; that sale also fell through, and in 2017 the stations were acquired by Townsquare Media.
WSBS transmits 2,700 watts daytime with a Marconi 1959 Series fed 1/4 wave tower. The primary transmitter is a Harris SX2.5, and a backup Gates 250GY. The nighttime transmitter is an LPB.
- "WSBS reception verification" (PDF). February 27, 1957. Retrieved May 17, 2014.
- "Western Massachusetts Cluster Sold". All Access. August 23, 2013. Retrieved August 29, 2013.
- Venta, Lance (January 14, 2014). "Pittsfield Cluster Sale Withdrawn". RadioInsight. Retrieved March 30, 2014.
- Venta, Lance (October 17, 2016). "Galaxy Communications Acquires Pittsfield Cluster". RadioInsight. Retrieved April 19, 2017.
- Venta, Lance (July 18, 2017). "Townsquare Media Acquires Six In Massachusetts". RadioInsight. Retrieved November 14, 2017.
- Official website
- Query the FCC's AM station database for WSBS
- Radio-Locator Information on WSBS
- Query Nielsen Audio's AM station database for WSBS
- Query the FCC's FM station database for W231AK
- Radio-Locator information on W231AK
- WSBS's studios & tower at NECRAT
|This article about a radio station in Massachusetts is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|