|Broadcast area||Greater St. Louis|
|Branding||1260 AM The Answer|
|First air date||1947 (as WIBV)|
|Power||20,000 watts day
5,000 watts night
|Callsign meaning||W St. Louis
DiZney (former owner)
|Former callsigns||WIBV (1947-1998)|
|Affiliations||Salem Radio Network|
|Owner||Salem Media Group
(Caron Broadcasting, Inc.)
WSDZ (1260 AM) is a Conservative Talk formatted radio station licensed to Belleville, Illinois, serving the Greater St. Louis. The station, which began broadcasting in 1947, is owned and operated by Salem Media Group. The WSDZ broadcast license is held by Caron Broadcasting, Inc.
WSDZ's studios are located on Webster Hill Road in St. Louis, while its transmitter is located south of Belleville.
WIBV aired various types of music, and broadcasting a variety of high school sports into the Metro-East area for many years, until the mid-1990s, when it became an all-news/talk station, a fore-runner of KTRS.
On August 13, 2014, it was announced that Radio Disney planned to sell all of its remaining owned-and-operated stations (including WSDZ and with the lone exception of KDIS in Los Angeles) in order to focus more on the network's programming, co-branded events, and digital outlets. Disney originally planned to temporarily shut down the stations in question on September 26, 2014. However, Disney changed their plans at the last minute, and all stations would remain on the air, continuing to broadcast Radio Disney programming until each were sold.
On September 15, it was announced that Salem Media Group acquired the last five Radio Disney owned-and-operated stations for sale (including WSDZ) for $2.225 million. WSDZ was acquired through Caron Broadcasting, Inc., for $275,000. The sale of WSDZ was completed on December 18, 2015.
On December 11, 2015, Radio Disney programming went off the air and WSDZ went silent, pending its new format. On December 22, 2015, WSDZ signed back on the air with their new conservative talk format as "1260 AM The Answer".
- "WSDZ Facility Record". United States Federal Communications Commission, audio division.
- Emergency Alert System Plan - June 2006
- "WIBV at Belleville, Ill., Takes Air as Daytimer" (PDF). Broadcasting. August 4, 1947. Retrieved 5 October 2014.
- Lafayette, Jon (August 13, 2014). "Exclusive: Radio Disney Moving Off Air to Digital". Broadcasting & Cable. Retrieved August 13, 2014.
- Gallo, Phil (August 13, 2014). "Radio Disney to Sell the Majority of Its Stations". Billboard. Retrieved August 13, 2014.
- Venta, Lance (August 13, 2014). "Radio Disney To Sell All But One Station". Radio Insight. Retrieved August 13, 2014.
- Fybush, Scott (September 26, 2014). "NERW Extra: No Signoffs for Disney AMs". Northeast Radio Watch. Retrieved September 27, 2014. (subscription required)
- Salem Acquires Radio Disney’s Final Five - Radio Insight
- "Application for Consent to Assignment of Broadcast Station Construction Permit or License". CDBS Public Access. Federal Communications Commission.
- WSDZ of Belleville changes hands - St. Louis Business Journal
- Belleville radio station being sold - Belleville News-Democrat
- Consummation Notice - Federal Communications Commission