|City of license||Albemarle, North Carolina|
|Format||News Talk Information|
|Power||1,000 watts day
64 watts night
|Callsign meaning||We Serve Pfeiffer College|
|Former callsigns||WWWX (1979-1990)
|Affiliations||ABC Radio , CBS Radio, Premiere Radio Networks|
WSPC (1010 AM) is a radio station broadcasting a News Talk Information format. Licensed to Albemarle, North Carolina, USA. The station is currently owned by Stanly Communications and features programing from ABC Radio, CBS Radio and Premiere Radio Networks.
WABZ radio signed on in 1946, broadcasting from the Albemarle Hotel.
While a student a Pfeiffer College in March 1949, longtime WFMY-TV personality Lee Kinard went to work at WABZ doing janitorial and filing duties. Later he became a DJ and producer. Kinard left Pfeiffer after one year and became a part owner of the station in 1952, along with station manager Bill Page, attorney Staton Williams, chiropractor Joe Ivester and farmer Keith Almond. Kinard left WABZ for WFMY in 1956.
An FM station at 100.9 was added later.
The AM station established a separate identity as WWWX on 1979-09-10. On 1990-02-15, the station changed its call sign to WXLX and on 1994-08-26 to the current WSPC. The owner in 1994 was Bill Norman, a Pfeiffer graduate who got his training at the college's station WSPC. Since the letters had become available, Norman put them on his station.
- "Call Letter Origins". Radio History on the Web.
- "WSPC Facility Record". United States Federal Communications Commission, audio division.
- "WSPC Station Information Profile". Arbitron.
- B.J. Drye, "Every Road Leads Back to Stanly County," The Stanly News and Press, October 20, 2013, p. 5A.
- Dexter Hinson, "Kinard Inducted into Broadcasting Hall of Fame," The Stanly News and Press, September 15, 2008.
- "WSPC Call Sign History". United States Federal Communications Commission, audio division.
- Official website
- Query the FCC's AM station database for WSPC
- Radio-Locator Information on WSPC
- Query Nielsen Audio's AM station database for WSPC
|This article about a radio station in North Carolina is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|