|Broadcast area||Savannah, Georgia
Hilton Head, South Carolina
|Slogan||The Throwback Station|
|First air date||1967|
|Format||Classic hip hop|
|Former callsigns||WMZD (2004–06)
|Operator||Dick Broadcasting Corporation|
(Alpha Media Licensee LLC)
|Sister stations||WFXH-FM, WGCO, WRWN, WUBB, WHHW|
WXYY (100.1 FM), known as G100, is a radio station broadcasting a classic hip hop format. Licensed to Rincon, Georgia, US, the station serves the Savannah and Hilton Head areas. The station is owned by Alpha Media, but operated by Dick Broadcasting Corporation under a local marketing agreement pending an outright acquisition. The studios and offices are on the south side of Savannah and the transmitter is in Rincon.
The station went on the air as WMZD on May 10, 2004. On March 9, 2006, the station changed its call sign to WSGA, on March 16, 2006, to WSSJ, and on March 6, 2014, to WXYY. The station switched from a New AC (NAC)/Smooth Jazz format to Gospel music on March 19, 2008, with the name "Joy 100.1."
In March 2014, after L & L Broadcasting bought the 50,000-watt station, WXYY moved its call letters and Hot AC format from 107.9 FM, which had a 24,000-watt signal. VP of Programming Scott Mahalick said the change "will bring a great jolt of energy and vibe" to the market. WXYY "Y100" will continue to call its music "90’s, 2K & Today". "The Bert Show" remains in the mornings with Patty Steele doing middays." On September 22, 2014, Program Director Rob Walker rebranded Y100 as "All The Hits", dropping all remaining 80s and most of the 90s music, along with The Bert Show and moved the station to a straightforward CHR position. Over the course of the next year, Y100 shifted to a rhythmic format, which resulted in Mediabase moving WXYY to the Rhythmic panel in November 2015.
On July 22, 2016, WXYY began stunting with a loop of "Nuthin' but a 'G' Thang" by Dr. Dre and Snoop Dogg, while running liners advising listeners to tune in at 5pm, at which time, WXYY flipped to classic hip hop as "G100".
In September 2017, Dick Broadcasting announced that it would acquire Alpha Media's clusters in Savannah, Kinston/New Bern/Jacksonville, and Myrtle Beach. Under the terms of the sale, however, a formal sale filing will not be made for the Savannah stations until August 2019, with Dick operating these stations under a local marketing agreement in the meantime.
The current lineup is as follows
- Morning Show (6am-10am): Brooke & Jubal - Jubal Flagg, Brooke Fox, Jose Bolanos, "Young Jeffery" DeBeaux & Steve Boyd
- Mid-Days (10am-2pm): Lexi
- Afternoon Drive (2pm-7pm): Mia Mance
- Nighttime (7pm-12am): TBD
- Program Director: Mia Mance
- "WXYY Call Sign History". United States Federal Communications Commission, audio division.
- "L&L moves Hot AC down the dial in Savannah". Retrieved March 7, 2014.
- Venta, Lance (2016-07-22). "Y100 Savannah Stunting Like A G Thang". RadioInsight. Retrieved 2016-07-22.
- Venta, Lance (2017-09-05). "Dick Broadcasting Acquires Three Markets From Alpha Media". RadioInsight. Retrieved 2017-09-06.
- Query the FCC's FM station database for WXYY
- Radio-Locator information on WXYY
- Query Nielsen Audio's FM station database for WXYY
|This article about a radio station in the state of Georgia is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|