- WHIM (AM) redirects here. For the Rhode Island stations that once used the WHIM calls, please see WHIM (defunct), WLKW and WPMZ.
|Broadcast area||Greater Orlando|
|Slogan||Life Changing Radio|
|Repeater(s)||94.9 FM (W235CJ)|
|First air date||1940|
|Power||12,000 watts day
5,000 watts night
|Former callsigns||WLOF, WZKD|
|Owner||Salem Media Group
(Pennsylvania Media Associates, Inc.)
WTLN originally signed on as WLOF, Orlando's second radio station. This station began broadcasting on 1200 kHz AM on October 26, 1940. It switched to 1230 kHz in 1941 then 950 kHz in 1949. It continued to broadcast under this call sign until 1989. During the 1960s and 1970s this station was the leading rock and roll station in Orlando.
With the call letters WOMX, the station was the AM amplifier for WOMX 105.1 FM, an adult-contemporary station.
WLOF was affiliated by Owner NewCity Communications with Radio AAHS on December 15, 1994. The FCC granted the stations call sign change to WZKD in mid-April 1995. The week of April 14, 1995, WZKD's morning program, Jammin' Jo Jo, increased its length by an hour. The station then built a new permanent studios that would allow for tours, which the station expect to be in by Mid-May. They hired local kids to staff specials and features and added Tommy's Clubhouse, a local weekend show. The week of August 4, 1995, the station opened up its studios up for tours. Given Orlando's past with children's radio, even before NewCity launched a television advertising campaign in August, the station was in the top five AAHS stations in calls to the network. In January 1997, Cox Radio, Inc. received FTC approval of its purchase of Newcity Communications, including WZKD, initiated in May 1996. In January 1998, Radio Aahs stopped broadcasting.
- WLOF-AM 950 Orlando
- WLOF Channel 95 opening page
- "Stern Sidekick Robin Quivers Soft-pedals His Shocking Ways". Orlando Sentinel. April 14, 1995. Retrieved January 24, 2017.
- "Wzkd Kids Radio Starts Big Ad Campaign". Orlando Sentinel. August 4, 1995. Retrieved January 24, 2017.
- "Cox Wins DOJ Clearance In Florida" (PDF). Radio and Records. January 10, 1997. Retrieved January 24, 2017.
- "ABC Radio Loses Contract Lawsuit". The New York Times. October 1, 1998. p. 4. Retrieved September 3, 2011.
- Query the FCC's AM station database for WTLN
- Radio-Locator Information on WTLN
- Query Nielsen Audio's AM station database for WTLN
- Query the FCC's AM station database for WHIM
- Radio-Locator Information on WHIM
- Query Nielsen Audio's AM station database for WHIM
- Query the FCC's FM station database for W235CJ
- FCC History Cards for WTLN
|This article about a radio station in Florida is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This article about a Christian radio station is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|