|City||Hendersonville, North Carolina|
|Slogan||Q95.3 FM and 1600 AM|
|Repeater(s)||W237EE 95.3 FM Hendersonville, NC|
|First air date||1963|
|Power||5,000 watts day
30 watts night
|Affiliations||North Carolina News Network, ABC Radio|
|Owner||Timeless Media, Inc.|
|Webcast||Listen Live streaming URL|
WTZQ (1600 AM) is a radio station broadcasting an oldies/adult standards format. Licensed to Hendersonville, North Carolina, USA, the station is currently owned by Timeless Media, Inc. and features local programming and music 24 hours a day.
WHVL signed on in 1963. From 1977 to 1987 the station broadcast a Top 40 format. In 1987, WHVL changed letters to WTZQ and began playing "Solid Gold". In summer 1988, the format changed to "Simply Beautiful".
In 1990, Mystle and Jim Butler, who had owned the station since 1986, sold WTZQ to United Broadcasting Enterprises, Inc. Glenn W. Wilcox, Sr. sold WTZQ to J. Ardell Sink in 1997. Houston Broadcasting Corp. bought WTZQ in 2002. For years WTZQ and WISE aired the same programming, Stardust adult standards from ABC Radio, which was discontinued in 2010. WTZQ continued airing the music even after WISE changed to sports talk. Sink's Mark Media, Inc., owner of WKYK and WTOE, bought the station in 2008. Mark Warwick, who began work in 1995 at WISE, became general manager of WTZQ. With the purchase came a community service commitment.
Early in 2010, the Stardust format, which had become Timeless, was discontinued. WTZQ is no longer affiliated with a satellite music service, choosing instead to program their own oldies / adult standards / nostalgia format.
- "WTZQ Facility Record". United States Federal Communications Commission, audio division.
- "AM 1600 History". wtzq.com. Retrieved 2010-03-23.
- "Tower site of the week: Asheville and Western North Carolina". fybush.com. Retrieved 2010-03-23.
- "WTZQ Now Part of Mark Media". 2008-06-03. Retrieved 2010-03-23.
- "On-Air". wtzq.com. Retrieved 2010-04-08.
- "Music of Your Life - New Schedule!!". Retrieved 2010-04-08.
- Query the FCC's AM station database for WTZQ
- Radio-Locator Information on WTZQ
- Query Nielsen Audio's AM station database for WTZQ
- WTZQ history
|This article about a radio station in North Carolina is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|