|City||Watervliet, New York|
|Broadcast area||Capital District|
|First air date||1964|
|Power||400 watts Dayitme
70 watts Nighttime
(former call sign of WAMC and WAIX)
|Former callsigns||WSPN (1950s–1964)
|Affiliations||Time Warner Cable News|
|Owner||Empire Broadcasting Corporation|
|Sister stations||WAIX, WJKE, WPTR|
The station went on the air as WSPN in the 1950s, in Saratoga Springs, later changing call letters to WKAJ, in 1964. For many years the station broadcast an MOR type of format. In 1992, the call letters were changed to WBGG, and the format to Country. In 1994, the station changed its call sign to WCKM, and its format to Oldies. In 1996, the call letters reverted to WKAJ, and the format was changed to Nostalgia. In 1999, WKAJ became WUAM; the antenna was moved to Watervliet in April 2008, splitting from the simulcast with WABY to repeat Capital News 9's television audio. Since April 2011, the station has been relayed on 106.1 FM via translator W291BY, broadcasting from Albany, New York at 250 watts ERP.
Ernie Anastos sold his Albany-area stations—WUAM and its translator, WABY, WQAR, and WVKZ—to Empire Broadcasting Corporation in June 2012 at a purchase price of $1.2 million. The transaction was consummated on September 7, 2012.
On May 27, 2014, WUAM changed its format to adult standards, branded as "Moon Radio". The station became WABY on July 3, 2014; the call sign was previously used by sister station WAIX, and before then on what are now WAMC and WYKV.
- "WABY Facility Record". United States Federal Communications Commission, audio division.
- Pickney, Barbara (June 14, 2012). "Joe Reilly purchases 4 Albany area radio stations". The Business Review. Retrieved August 17, 2012.
- "Call Sign History". CDBS Public Access. Federal Communications Commission. Retrieved August 4, 2014.
- Query the FCC's AM station database for WABY
- Radio-Locator Information on WABY
- Query Nielsen Audio's AM station database for WABY
|This article about a radio station in New York is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|