|Frequency||91.9 (MHz) (also on HD Radio)|
|Repeater(s)||89.3 WIPA Pittsfield|
|First air date||January 3, 1975|
|Format||FM/HD1: Public radio
HD2: Classical music "NPR Illinois Classic"
HD3: AAA "The X"
|HAAT||152 meters (499 ft)|
|Callsign meaning||University of Illinois at Springfield|
|Former callsigns||WSSR (1975-1989)
|Affiliations||National Public Radio|
|Owner||University of Illinois at Springfield
(Board of Trustees of the University of Illinois)
Listen Live (HD2)
Listen Live (HD3)
WUIS (91.9 FM), is a National Public Radio-affiliated station in Springfield, Illinois, United States. It primarily features National Public Radio programming. The station is owned by and based at the University of Illinois at Springfield. It operates a full-time satellite, WIPA in Pittsfield, Illinois. WIPA serves a small portion of the Quincy market.
WUIS originally hit the airwaves on January 3, 1975 as WSSR, operated by what was then Sangamon State University. It became WSSU in 1989, and adopted its current calls when Sangamon State merged with the University of Illinois system in 1995.
WIPA was brought online in 1993.
In 2015, the station rebranded as "NPR Illinois."
HD Radio Custom Station Name
- HD1 is a digital simulcast of the traditional analog signal's NPR news format.
- HD2 is known as "NPR Illinois Classic".
- HD3 is known as "The X".
- WUIS official website
- Query the FCC's FM station database for WUIS
- Radio-Locator information on WUIS
- Query Nielsen Audio's FM station database for WUIS
- Query the FCC's FM station database for WIPA
- Radio-Locator information on WIPA
- Query Nielsen Audio's FM station database for WIPA
|This article about a radio station in Illinois is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|