|Broadcast area||Greater Boston|
|Frequency||91.9 MHz (also on HD Radio)|
|Repeater(s)||(see table below)|
|First air date||September 19, 1982|
|HAAT||189 meters (620 ft)|
|Callsign meaning||University of Massachusetts Boston|
|Affiliations||American Public Media|
University of Massachusetts Boston |
(University of Massachusetts)
WUMB-FM (91.9 FM) in Boston, Massachusetts is the radio station of University of Massachusetts Boston. It broadcasts an Americana/Blues/Roots/Folk mix hosted by its staff weekdays. On weekends the station concentrates on traditional folk, Celtic, blues, and world music including syndicated programs. Overnight programming starting at midnight and usually through 5am is a repeat of a portion of the previous day's programming; an announcement of this fact is made at midnight. The station has received many awards for its folk music programming.
WUMB-FM operates as a noncommercial public radio-style station which carries some NPR programming. HD Radio technology allows WUMB to transmit a high-quality digital signal. Due to the crowded state of the noncommercial end of the FM dial in New England, WUMB operates at a modest 160 watts, effectively limiting its coverage area to Boston itself and its innermost suburbs. To widen its signal, it operates a network of seven repeater stations across eastern Massachusetts and southern New Hampshire. WUMB-FM can also be heard on the Internet at both low bit rate for those with dial up connection and in stereo for those with broadband service.
Since 1998 WUMB sponsored a live music festival, called the Boston Folk Festival through 2009 but renamed to WUMB Music Fest in 2010 and 2011. The first festival was held at scattered sites in Boston's Back Bay. Since then it has taken place on the University of Massachusetts-Boston campus. The event is currently in hiatus, however WUMB does continue to participate in music festivals around New England like the Lowell Summer Music Series and the New Bedford Folk Festival.
Until 2013, WUMB broadcast with 660 watts, with a height above average terrain of 63 meters; after the station lost its then-transmitter site, the station moved to a new site and began broadcasting with its present 160-watt facility.
According to the station's website:
WUMB Radio is dedicated to produce, acquire, and disseminate high quality, diverse and valued public service radio programming to significant audiences. The radio station is committed to serving as a local and national resource for the cultivation, promotion and preservation of various genres of folk music through its radio programming and selected enterprises.
In addition to the main station, WUMB is relayed by seven repeaters to widen its broadcast area.
|Station||Frequency||City||First air date||Power||ERP||HAAT||Class||Facility ID||Coordinates||Call Sign Meaning||Former Call Signs|
|WFPB1||1170 kHz||Orleans||April 10, 1970||1,000 watts
|D||8591||derived from WFPB-FM (see below)||WVLC (1970–1980)|
|WBPR||91.9 MHz||Worcester||1994||270 watts||213 m (699 ft)||A||69163||Boston Public Radio|
|WFPB-FM||91.9 MHz||Falmouth||1995||300 watts horizontal
6,000 watts vertical
|76.1 m (250 ft)||A||69057||Falmouth Public Broadcasting|
|WNEF||91.7 MHz||Newburyport||January 13, 2002||1 watt horizontal
1,000 watts vertical
|100 m (328 ft)||A||93889||We're New England's Folk|
|WUMG2||91.7 MHz||Stow||August 10, 2010||500 watts||23.5 m (77 ft)||A||122279||disambiguation of WUMB|
|WUMT||91.7 MHz||Marshfield||November 2011||1,100 watts||25 m (82 ft)||A||122278||disambiguation of WUMB|
|WUMV||88.7 MHz||Milford, New Hampshire||July 11, 2012||670 watts||12 m (39 ft)||A||174551||disambiguation of WUMB|
- 1. WFPB operated as a commercial station from 1970 until its donation to UMass Boston by GramCam Communications in 1998.
- 2. WUMG shares time with high school radio station WAVM in Maynard.
In addition to its primary repeaters, starting in 2007 WPNI (1430 AM) in Amherst temporarily repeated WUMB by arrangement with WFCR while Pamal Broadcasting sought a buyer for the station; this ended when Pamal shut WPNI down on November 30, 2013. WHRB (95.3 FM) in Cambridge and WLYN (1360 AM) in Lynn have also offered temporary WUMB simulcasts in the past during transitions to either new studios or new ownership.
- Broadcasting & Cable Yearbook 1999 (PDF). 1999. pp. D–208–14. Retrieved January 16, 2012.
- WUMB website history and overview page
- WUMB website program description page
- Contact Us
- HD radio page wumb.org
- WUMB Music Fest
- Mission Statement WUMB BRIEF HISTORY AND OVERVIEW WUMB website Retrieved July-13-2012.
- Fybush, Scott (January 7, 2002). "Is WKNJ Gone For Good?". North East RadioWatch. Retrieved January 16, 2012.
- Fybush, Scott (September 25, 1998). "WNFT, WNTN Sold". North East RadioWatch. Retrieved January 16, 2012.
- "WUMB's folk programs to be broadcast on WPNI". In the Loop. University of Massachusetts Amherst. April 5, 2007. Retrieved January 16, 2012.
- "Notification of Suspension of Operations / Request for Silent STA". CDBS Public Access. Federal Communications Commission. December 3, 2013. Retrieved July 1, 2014.
- Fybush, Scott D (August 17, 1994). "New England Radio Watcher: Etc". rec.radio.broadcasting. Google Groups. Retrieved January 16, 2012.
- Fybush, Scott (October 8, 2002). "North East RadioWatch". Retrieved January 16, 2012.
- Official website
- Artist - Song now playing
- WUMB on Facebook
- WUMB-FM records, 1969-2012, University Archives and Special Collections, Joseph P. Healey Library, University of Massachusetts Boston
- FCC construction permit for WUMB
- Query the FCC's FM station database for WUMB
- Radio-Locator information on WUMB
- Query Nielsen Audio's FM station database for WUMB
Other AM station data
- Query the FCC's AM station database for WFPB
- Radio-Locator Information on WFPB
- Query Nielsen Audio's AM station database for WFPB
Other FM station data
- Query the FCC's FM station database for WBPR
- Radio-Locator information on WBPR
- Query Nielsen Audio's FM station database for WBPR
- Query the FCC's FM station database for WFPB
- Radio-Locator information on WFPB
- Query Nielsen Audio's FM station database for WFPB
- Query the FCC's FM station database for WNEF
- Radio-Locator information on WNEF
- Query Nielsen Audio's FM station database for WNEF
- Query the FCC's FM station database for WUMG
- Radio-Locator information on WUMG
- Query Nielsen Audio's FM station database for WUMG
- Query the FCC's FM station database for WUMT
- Radio-Locator information on WUMT
- Query Nielsen Audio's FM station database for WUMT
- Query the FCC's FM station database for WUMV
- Radio-Locator information on WUMV
- Query Nielsen Audio's FM station database for WUMV