|City||North Dartmouth, Massachusetts|
|Broadcast area||New Bedford, Massachusetts|
|Frequency||89.3 MHz (also on HD Radio)|
|First air date||Early 1970s|
|Former callsigns||WUSM (early 1970s-January 15, 1989), WSMU (January 15, 1989-June 10, 2006)|
|Owner||University of Massachusetts|
WUMD (89.3 FM) is a radio station broadcasting a Variety format. Licensed to North Dartmouth, Massachusetts, USA. The station is currently owned by University of Massachusetts. The station is also broadcast on HD radio.
WUMD began with 10 watts of power on 91.1 MHz/Channel 216 as WUSM in the early 1970s. Its first studio was in the cafeteria basement. In the fall of 1974 WUSM moved it studio to the campus center and increased power. It remained a student-programmed station throughout the next 3 decades. In June 2006, it sold its 91.1 frequency to the Educational Media Foundation & began broadcasting on 89.3 MHz/Channel 207.
Sale to Rhode Island Public Radio
On January 4, 2017, it was announced that UMass Dartmouth is selling WUMD to Rhode Island Public Radio for $1.5 Million & $60,000 worth of underwriting for 10 years. RIPR intends to move WUMD to Tiverton, Rhode Island to simulcast its programming.
- "WUMD Facility Record". United States Federal Communications Commission, audio division.
- "HD Radio Station Guide". HD Radio. iBiquity.
- WUMD press release about WUMD being sold: January 4, 2017. Retrieved January 4, 2017.
- Query the FCC's FM station database for WUMD
- Radio-Locator information on WUMD
- Query Nielsen Audio's FM station database for WUMD
- About WUMD on the WUMD page
|This article about a radio station in Massachusetts is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|