|Broadcast area||Pittsfield, Massachusetts|
|Slogan||Classic Top 40|
|Translator(s)||103.3 W277CJ (Pittsfield)|
|First air date||September 9, 1971 (as WGRG)|
|Power||5,000 watts day|
|Callsign meaning||WUPE = Whoopie|
|Former callsigns||WGRG (1971–1977)|
|Owner||Townsquare Media |
(Townsquare Media Pittsfield License, LLC)
|Sister stations||WBEC, WBEC-FM, WNAW, WSBS, WUPE-FM|
WUPE signed on in 1971, as progressive rock WGRG. WGRG became Top 40 WUPE in 1977. WUPE became nostalgia formatted WUHN, in the early 1980s. The format was flipped to oldies in 1990, and then to country in 1996. The WUPE call letters were restored along with the oldies format in 2006.
In August 2015, WUPE added an FM translator in the Pittsfield area.
|City of license||ERP
In August 2013, Gamma Broadcasting reached a deal to sell its Berkshire County radio stations, including WUPE, to Reed Miami Holdings; the sale was canceled on December 30, 2013. In October 2016, Gamma agreed to sell its stations to Galaxy Communications; that sale also fell through, and in 2017 the stations were acquired by Townsquare Media.
- Broadcasting & Cable Yearbook 1999 (PDF). 1999. p. D-212. Retrieved October 3, 2012.
- "Call Letter Origins". Radio History on the Web.
- "WUPE Call Sign History". United States Federal Communications Commission, audio division.
- "Western Massachusetts Cluster Sold". All Access. August 23, 2013. Retrieved August 29, 2013.
- Venta, Lance (January 14, 2014). "Pittsfield Cluster Sale Withdrawn". RadioInsight. Retrieved March 30, 2014.
- Venta, Lance (October 17, 2016). "Galaxy Communications Acquires Pittsfield Cluster". RadioInsight. Retrieved April 19, 2017.
- Venta, Lance (July 18, 2017). "Townsquare Media Acquires Six In Massachusetts". RadioInsight. Retrieved November 14, 2017.
- Official website
- Query the FCC's AM station database for WUPE
- Radio-Locator Information on WUPE
- Query Nielsen Audio's AM station database for WUPE
- Query the FCC's FM station database for W277CJ
- Radio-Locator information on W277CJ
|This article about a radio station in Massachusetts is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|