|Broadcast area||Metro Lynchburg|
|Slogan||"Today's Best R&B and Old School"|
(also on HD Radio)
|First air date||1948|
|Format||Urban Adult Contemporary|
|Callsign meaning||W ViBE|
|Former callsigns||WWOD-FM (1948-1979)
|Owner||Mel Wheeler, Inc.|
|Sister stations||WFIR, WLNI, WSLC-FM, WSLQ, WVBB, WPLY, WXLK|
WVBE-FM is an Urban Adult Contemporary formatted broadcast radio station licensed to Lynchburg, Virginia, serving Metro Lynchburg. WVBE-FM is owned and operated by Mel Wheeler, Inc.. and is simulcast on WVBB 97.7 FM in Elliston-Lafayette, Virginia. A simulcast was offered on 610 AM in Roanoke, Virginia until 2016 when it flipped to sports.
WVBE-FM 100.1 began its history in 1948 as WWOD-FM, originally at 940 watts. It had a sister station on 1390, WWOD, now WKPA. WWOD-AM was the second station to go on in Lynchburg after WLVA-AM. WWOD-FM was religious until it became WKZZ on May 12, 1979 and carried a country format until April 1, 1984, when it became a locally programmed CHR format until 1991.
On November 21, 1991, the station was purchased by Aylett Coleman of Roanoke and began a simulcast with CHR formatted WXLK "K92" in Roanoke to provide an improved signal in Lynchburg and took the call sign WLYK, which stood for "Lynchburg's K92." The following year, WLYK boosted power, going from a Class A to Class C3 station. The stations were later sold a few years after Coleman's death to Mel Wheeler Inc.
On April 19, 2001, the station became Vibe 100, with an R&B format, changing calls to WVBE-FM on March 13, 2002. The change was necessitated by the addition of the former WSLC-AM as a Roanoke-based simulcast signal for "Vibe 100", which took the calls WVBE.
- "Roanoke getting another all-sports radio station". www.roanoke.com. Retrieved 2016-01-24.
- "Wheeler Launches New Sports Station In Roanoke - RadioInsight". RadioInsight. Retrieved 2016-01-24.
- "Roanoke Gets Second Sports Station.". Insideradio.com. Retrieved 2016-01-24.
- "HD Radio station guide for Roanoke–Lynchburg, VA". hdradio.com. Retrieved 2016-01-23.
- Staff, FCC Internet Services. "Station Search Details". licensing.fcc.gov. Retrieved 2016-01-23.
- The Vibe Online
- Query the FCC's FM station database for WVBE
- Radio-Locator information on WVBE
- Query Nielsen Audio's FM station database for WVBE
|This article about a radio station in Virginia is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|