WWE Extreme Rules
|Brand(s)||Raw (2009–2011, 2017–present)
|First event||Extreme Rules (2009)|
|Event gimmick||Hardcore wrestling|
|Signature match types||Extreme Rules match|
WWE Extreme Rules (simply known as Extreme Rules) is a professional wrestling event produced annually by WWE, a Connecticut-based promotion, and broadcast live and available only through pay-per-view (PPV) and the WWE Network. The name of the event stems from most matches being contested under hardcore wrestling regulations; the defunct Extreme Championship Wrestling (ECW) promotion originally used the term to describe the regulations for all of its matches. The event name was established in 2009; however, its theme began with its predecessor, One Night Stand, which was promoted in 2005 and 2006 as an ECW reunion show. In 2007, WWE promoted the show as one of its own regular PPV events but kept the ECW concept of Extreme Rules matches. In 2009, WWE renamed the One Night Stand event to WWE Extreme Rules. The 2009 Extreme Rules event was noted by WWE to be a direct continuation of the One Night Stand chronology. However, the 2010 event was later promoted as only the second event under a new chronology, one that is no longer a direct continuation of the One Night Stand events. Starting in 2010, Extreme Rules was moved from June to late April/early May to replace Backlash as the post-WrestleMania pay-per-view event. For 2013, the event was scheduled to take place in mid-May and replace Over the Limit, which was moved to October before being discontinued later that year and replaced by Battleground. The event will return to the early June slot of WWE's pay-per-view calendar and will be a Raw-exclusive pay-per-view event.
Dates and venues
- "Specialty WWE matches: Hardcore match". World Wrestling Entertainment. Retrieved 2010-04-25.
- "Extreme Rules official website". World Wrestling Entertainment. Retrieved 2010-04-25.
Check out all the action from the first-ever Extreme Rules pay-per-view held in 2009.
- "WWE News: Raw notes - no guest host yet for next week, matches teased for Extreme this event will start at 6:30 Rules". Distinct Television Brands.
- "WWE Home Entertainment 2013 DVD/Blu-ray release schedule". WWE.com. WWE, Inc. September 10, 2012. Retrieved 4 January 2013.
- Johnson, Mike (September 10, 2012). "WWE PPV SCHEDULE CHANGING". PWInsider.com. Retrieved 4 January 2013.
- "Get WWE Extreme Rules 2017 tickets". WWE. March 4, 2017. Retrieved March 6, 2017.