WWE Hell in a Cell
|Hell in a Cell|
|Brand(s)||Raw (2009–2010, 2016)
SmackDown (2009–2010, 2017)
|First event||Hell in a Cell (2009)|
|Signature match types||Hell in a Cell match|
WWE Hell in a Cell is a professional wrestling event produced annually by WWE, a Connecticut-based professional wrestling promotion, and broadcast live and available only through pay-per-view (PPV) and the WWE Network. The event was established in 2009, replacing WWE No Mercy in the early October slot of WWE's pay-per-view calendar. In 2012, WWE announced that Hell in a Cell will be moving to late October, leaving only one pay-per-view in October. However, in 2013, WWE added Battleground (originally as Over the Limit) in an early October slot.
The concept of the show comes from WWE's established Hell in a Cell match, in which competitors fight inside a 20-foot-high roofed cell structure surrounding the ring and ringside area. Each main event match of the card is contested under the Hell in a Cell stipulation. Hell in a Cell was chosen over No Escape, Locked Up and Rage in a Cage.
Since its origin, the event has been held only in indoor arenas in the United States. Championship bouts are scheduled on every card, with the lower-tier titles contested on the undercard and the top-tier appearing on the main card.
The concept of this pay-per-view is that all the main event matches would be fought inside a 24-foot-high roofed cell structure surrounding the ring and ringside area. In a Hell in a Cell match, there are no disqualifications or count-outs (also no escape). The only way to win is by pinfall or submission inside the ring.
Dates and venues
|Raw-branded event||SmackDown-branded event|
- Caldwell, James (2009-06-27). "WWE News: WWE changes the names of two more PPVs; Report on WWE fan input leading to changes". Pro Wrestling Torch. Retrieved 2010-08-03.
- "Specialty Matches: Hell in a Cell". World Wrestling Entertainment. Retrieved 2010-08-03.
- "WWE seeking feedback on PPVs". WrestleView. Retrieved 2009-08-03.
- "WWE Hell in a Cell". Prudential Center. Retrieved 2010-08-03.
- "Hell in a Cell 2010". World Wrestling Entertainment. Retrieved 2010-08-03.
- "Results: Sins of the father". World Wrestling Entertainment. Retrieved 2010-10-01.
- "Hell in a Cell 2011". WWE. Retrieved 2011-09-19.
- "Hell in a Cell 2012". WWE. Retrieved 2012-07-31.
- Cutting, Devin (2013-01-11). "COMPLETE DETAILS AND LOCATIONS ON ALL 2013 WWE PPV EVENTS". PWInsider. Retrieved 11 January 2013.
- Clapp, John (September 20, 2015). "The Undertaker vs. Brock Lesnar (Hell in a Cell Match)". WWE. Retrieved October 22, 2015.