WWE SmackDown! vs. Raw
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (April 2015) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
|WWE SmackDown! vs. Raw|
US Box art for the game, featuring Vince McMahon.
|Series||SmackDown vs. Raw|
|Genre(s)||Professional wrestling, Fighting, Sports|
|Mode(s)||Single player, multiplayer, multiplayer online|
WWE SmackDown! vs. Raw (often shortened to WWE SvR or SVR 2005 and known as Exciting Pro Wrestling 6: SmackDown! vs. Raw in Japan), is a professional wrestling video game released on the PlayStation 2 console by THQ and developed by Yuke's. It is part of the WWE SmackDown vs. Raw (later renamed to simply WWE) series (the first under the SmackDown vs. Raw name) and is based on the professional wrestling promotion World Wrestling Entertainment (WWE). This game is the sequel to 2003's WWE SmackDown! Here Comes the Pain and was succeeded in 2005 by WWE SmackDown! vs. Raw 2006.
The game is largely similar to its predecessor, but adds some key features.
Several new gameplay features are introduced, including pre-match and in-match mini-games. The pre-match mini games are randomly chosen before every singles match, Test of strength, Stare down and Shoving match. Several in-game minigames were also introduced, chop battle, Spanking mini-game - in bra and panties matches, a female wrestler could enter a "spanking" mini-game. The meter mechanic from the chop battles are retained, but the player must perfectly time the button press three consecutive times to win. If the player does so, a cut scene of the two female wrestlers kissing is played.
The ability to sustain a submission till the count of 5 once a rope break had been reached was also implemented. The game features several arenas that WWE held events at in 2003 and 2004; there are also arenas based on each WWE television show.
Also added to the game was the Clean/Dirty system, which influenced each wrestlers tactics. Players can choose if the wrestler is clean, dirty or neutral. A clean or dirty wrestler has a meter that can be filled up by performing special clean/dirty actions or moves.
WWE SmackDown! vs. RAW also includes a redone WWE PPV (Pay-Per-View) mode from its past games where the player can play sample PPVs from 2004, or create a PPV of their own by booking matches choosing matchtypes and any superstar, legend or created superstar in the game. Created Championships could be waged in the created PPVs. Before playing the PPV the game would show a generic highlight reel featuring two of the superstars in the main event of the show. Commentary began to improve and sync up with the matches more.
Also, the game featured an all-new Create-a-Championship mode where the player can create and defend the title in their created PPV. The game also includes the Create-A-Wrestler mode from previous games where the created superstars movesets, attributes, entrances, and brand could be customized. The create mode was improved from the previous game. Stables could be created featuring any wrestler game and entrances could be customized.
All new challenge mode provides gamers with opportunities to challenge themselves at different difficulty levels. In addition, several challenges put gamers in memorable matches from the past and beating these challenges will help unlock alternate attires, arenas.
|2004 Spike Video Game Awards||Best Fighting Game||Nominated|
- List of licensed wrestling video games
- List of fighting games
- List of video games in the WWE 2K Games series
- WWE 2K
- "WWE SmackDown! vs. Raw for PlayStation 2 Reviews". Metacritic. Retrieved February 12, 2015.
- EGM staff (December 25, 2004). "WWE SmackDown! vs. Raw". Electronic Gaming Monthly (186): 122.
- Cutlack, Gary (November 17, 2004). "WWE SmackDown! vs. RAW". Eurogamer. Retrieved February 12, 2015.
- Zoss, Jeremy (December 2004). "WWE SmackDown! vs. Raw". Game Informer (140): 174. Archived from the original on May 14, 2008. Retrieved February 12, 2015.
- Navarro, Alex (November 1, 2004). "WWE SmackDown! vs. Raw Review". GameSpot. Retrieved February 12, 2015.
- Leeper, Justin (November 10, 2004). "GameSpy: WWE SmackDown vs. Raw". GameSpy. Retrieved February 12, 2015.
- The Bearer (November 16, 2004). "WWE Smackdown vs. Raw - PS2 - Review". GameZone. Archived from the original on March 29, 2009. Retrieved February 16, 2015.
- Dunham, Jeremy (October 29, 2004). "WWE SmackDown! vs. RAW". IGN. Archived from the original on September 29, 2008. Retrieved February 12, 2015.
- Smith, David (January 2005). "WWE SmackDown! vs. Raw". Official U.S. PlayStation Magazine. Retrieved April 8, 2016.
- Dransfield, Ian (December 3, 2004). "WWE Smackdown! vs. Raw Review". VideoGamer.com. Retrieved February 12, 2015.
- Villoria, Gerald (December 7, 2004). "WWE SmackDown vs. RAW Review". X-Play. Archived from the original on December 15, 2004. Retrieved February 12, 2015.
- Gardner, Omari (November 21, 2004). "'WWE SmackDown vs. Raw'". Detroit Free Press. Archived from the original on December 4, 2004. Retrieved February 12, 2015.
- WWE SmackDown! vs. RAW (Video Game 2004) - Soundtracks - IMDb http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0423500/soundtrack?ref_=tt_trv_snd