- For the station that also held the callsign WWRK from 2005-2006, see WZTF.
|City of license||Florence, South Carolina|
|Slogan||Where Real Hip Hop Lives|
|Frequency||94.1 & 105.9 FM|
|First air date||July 13, 1947|
|Power||10,000 Watts (day)
3,000 Watts (night)
|Former callsigns||WJMX (1947-2013)|
(AMFM Radio Licenses, L.L.C.)
|Sister stations||WDAR-FM, WDSC, WEGX, WJMX, WJMX-FM, WRZE, WZTF|
WWRK is a Mainstream urban radio station located in Florence, South Carolina, United States. The station is licensed by the Federal Communications Commission (FCC) to broadcast on 970 AM with power of 10,000 watts during the day, non-directional and 3,000 watts at night, directional.
WWRK signed on as WJMX on July 13, 1947. This station also covered NASCAR races in the past like the 1955 Southern 500 that took place in nearby Darlington. The station featured local as well as national programming from the ABC Radio Network. By the 1980s, WJMX was Top 40 under the handle "97X" but was beaten out by new upstart WPDZ (now WJMX-FM). The format migrated to its newly acquired 106.3 FM frequency (now WYNN-FM) and the station switched to Adult Contemporary before transitioning to News/Talk.
Qantum Communications Inc. purchased Florence's Root Communications Group LP stations in 2003.
On July 16, 2012, WJMX announced that after carrying Rush Limbaugh for over twenty years, the station would replace him with Mike Huckabee. Station general manager Craig Della Riva said that the distributor wanted too much money to air the show, some advertisers asked that their commercials not air on the show, and certain changes in the show had led to an audience decline. Some listeners protested. Limbaugh is now heard on WFRK.
On May 15, 2014, Qantum Communications announced that it would sell its 29 stations, including WWRK, to Clear Channel Communications (now iHeartMedia) for WALK AM-FM in Patchogue, New York as part of the sale of the WALK stations to Connoisseur Media. The transaction was consummated on September 9, 2014.
|City of license||ERP
|W250BJ||97.9||Florence, South Carolina||250||D||FCC|
|W283AB||104.5||Florence, South Carolina||250||D||FCC|
- Stock Cars of 50s & 60s - Stock Car Memories: Darlington-Southern 500 -- 1955, 1956 (DVD)
- "Changing Hands". Broadcasting & Cable. 2003-03-16. Retrieved 2011-10-13.
- Sweeney, John (2012-07-18). "Florence radio stations swap Limbaugh amid listener backlash". Florence Morning News. Retrieved 2012-07-25.
- "Call Sign History (WJMX)". Retrieved 2014-05-21.
- "Call Sign History (WWRK)". Retrieved 2014-05-21.
- Venta, Lance (May 15, 2014). "Qantum Sells To Clear Channel; Connoisseur Expands In Long Island". RadioInsight. Retrieved May 15, 2014.
- "W250BJ Radio Station Information". Retrieved 2012-07-26.
- "W283AB Radio Station Information". Retrieved 2012-07-26.
- Query the FCC's AM station database for WWRK
- Radio-Locator Information on WWRK
- Query Nielsen Audio's AM station database for WWRK
|This article about a radio station in South Carolina is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|