|City||Summerville, South Carolina|
|Broadcast area||Charleston & South Carolina Lowcountry|
|Slogan||R&B and Hip-Hop Flava!|
|First air date||May 10th, 1974|
(Radio License Holding CBC, LLC)
|Sister stations||WSSX, WIWF, WTMA|
WWWZ is a commercial radio station in Charleston, South Carolina, owned by Cumulus Media. The station features the Mainstream Urban radio format that plays R&B and hip-hop music. Its studios are located in North Charleston and the transmitter tower is on St. Thomas Island (within Charleston city limits).The station often refers to Charleston by its urban nickname "Chucktown".
WWWZ signed on the air May 10, 1974 as a Brothers Broadcasting-owned, low-power, freeform format station. The station broadcast from a mobile home studio off Hwy 61 near Summerville, SC and was referred to as "3WZ". In 1981, WWWZ switched to its current Urban format as "Z93".
In summer 1999, Z93 added new hosts to "The All-New Breakfuss Club," but this still did not keep the station from finishing second in the morning to WAVF's Howard Stern. Z93 had reached number one on several occasions but usually lost to WEZL. WWWZ was number one with 25-54 listeners in Fall 1999. In Winter 2002, Z93 was number one overall and Tessa and Baby J stayed at number one in the morning with the 25-54 audience. In Spring 2002, Tessa and Baby J were number one with 18-34 listeners.
- Lipman, Lisa (1999-11-11). "Stern becomes No. 1 morning radio show". Post and Courier. Retrieved 2010-07-08.
- Lipman, Lisa (2000-03-02). "The Weasel, Z 93 back on top in ratings". Post and Courier. Retrieved 2010-07-08.
- "Latest Arbitron ratings have Z-93 still on top". Post and Courier. 2002-05-19. Retrieved 2010-07-08.
- "Citadel stations make moves in radio ratings". Post and Courier. 2002-08-10. Retrieved 2010-07-08.
- Z-93's website.
- Query the FCC's FM station database for WWWZ
- Radio-Locator information on WWWZ
- Query Nielsen Audio's FM station database for WWWZ
|This article about a radio station in South Carolina is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|