Wade Davis (baseball)
Davis with the Tampa Bay Rays
Kansas City Royals – No. 17
September 7, 1985 |
Lake Wales, Florida
|September 6, 2009 for the Tampa Bay Rays|
(through August 4, 2015)
|Earned run average||3.70|
Career highlights and awards
Wade Allen Davis (born September 7, 1985) is an American professional baseball pitcher for the Kansas City Royals of Major League Baseball. From 2009 through 2012, he played in MLB for the Tampa Bay Rays.
Born and raised in the small town of Lake Wales, Florida, Davis attended Lake Wales High School. After high school, Davis originally committed to attend the University of Florida, but later turned down the offer to play professional baseball.
Tampa Bay Rays
Draft and minors
Davis was drafted in the third round (75th overall) of the 2004 amateur entry draft by the Tampa Bay Devil Rays. In the minors, he sported a 93–94 mph fastball, and an excellent spike curveball. Davis has expanded his repertoire to include a two-seam fastball, a slider, and a changeup.
Davis was the July 2010 AL Rookie Pitcher of the Month, after posting a 4–0 record with a 3.03 ERA in five starts.
He was named a starting pitcher on Baseball America's 2010 All-Rookie Team. The Tampa Bay chapter of the Baseball Writers' Association of America also named Davis the Most Outstanding Rookie of the Tampa Bay Rays for the 2010 season. He came in 4th in the voting for 2010 AL Rookie of the Year.
2011 & 2012
After two years in the Rays' starting rotation, Davis spent 2012 coming out of the Rays' bullpen and had a strong season.
Kansas City Royals
Davis spent most of 2013 in the Royals' rotation and compiled a 6–10 record through the end of August. He moved to the bullpen for September 2013 and remained in the bullpen through 2014.
In 2014, Davis posted one of the most dominant seasons ever by a reliever. From June 25 to September 16, Davis did not give up an earned run. On September 15, his ERA was an astonishing 0.69. On September 22, 2014, Davis struck out Yan Gomes for Davis' 104th strikeout of the season, breaking the Royals record for most strikeouts by a relief pitcher, which was 103 and had been shared by Jim York (1971) and Greg Holland (2013). Davis finished the regular season with a 9-2 record, posting a 1.00 ERA. He struck out 109 batters and walked 23. He did not give up a homerun in 2014. This dominance continued through the postseason, with Davis posting a 2-0 record and an ERA of 0.63. He struck out 20 batters and walked only 2.
In 2015, Davis has continued his dominance in the bullpen, pitching almost exclusively in the 8th inning, much like 2014. On June 28, Davis' homerless streak almost ended, giving up a double off the top of the wall at O.co Coliseum to Marcus Semien. On August 1, Davis' homerless streak ended at 125.2 innings, giving up a home run to the Blue Jays' José Bautista. His streak was the second longest in Royals history, and the longest such streak by a reliever.
Davis is the second-cousin of former Major League Baseball player Jody Davis. Wade Davis married long time girlfriend, Katelyn Casey in November 2009 in front of 200 guests in her hometown of Marlboro, NY. A graduate of the University of Tampa and aspiring interior designer, Katelyn also runs the couples' non-profit organization Full Kount which benefits children age 18 and younger who use sports as a positive influence in their lives. The couple has three dogs; Abagail, Charlie & Ruth. In the summer of 2013, the couple gave birth to their daughter, Sully Rose Davis.
- "Royals star reliever Wade Davis carries memory of stepbrother on the mound | The Kansas City Star". kansascity.com. Retrieved August 25, 2015.
- Goldman, S.; Carroll, W.; Kahrl, C. (2010). Baseball Prospectus 2010. Wiley. p. 552. ISBN 9780470558409. Retrieved August 20, 2015.
- "Jason Heyward, Stephen Strasburg are game's top prospects - MLB - SI.com". Sports Illustrated. March 3, 2010. Retrieved December 6, 2012.
- "Wade Davis » PitchFx » Overview | FanGraphs Baseball". fangraphs.com. Retrieved August 20, 2015.
- Bill Chastain (August 4, 2010). "Rays' Soriano, Davis earn monthly honors". mlb.com. Retrieved April 13, 2011.
- Eddy, Matt (October 19, 2010). "Future Big League Stars Highlight All-Rookie Team". Baseball America. Retrieved October 21, 2010.
- Joe Smith (September 29, 2010). "Crawford voted Rays Team MVP, Davis tabbed top rookie". St. Petersburg Times. Retrieved October 1, 2010.
- Kelly Thesier (November 15, 2010). "Valencia finishes third in AL ROY balloting". mlb.com. Retrieved April 13, 2011.
- "Rays acquire prospect Wil Myers for James Shields, Wade Davis". tampabay.rays.mlb.com. Retrieved August 20, 2015.
- "Wade Davis allows first homer since 2013, a streak covering 125 2/3 innings | Big League Stew - Yahoo Sports Canada". ca.sports.yahoo.com. Retrieved August 20, 2015.
- Tony Fabrizio (September 22, 2009). "Davis gives fans something to 'look' forward to". Tampa Bay Online. Retrieved March 6, 2011.
Media related to Wade Davis (baseball) at Wikimedia Commons
- Career statistics and player information from MLB, or ESPN, or Baseball-Reference, or Fangraphs, or The Baseball Cube, or Baseball-Reference (Minors)