Flaherty in goal for the China Sharks
January 11, 1968 |
Terrace, British Columbia, Canada
|Height||6 ft 00 in (1.83 m)|
|Weight||190 lb (86 kg; 13 st 8 lb)|
|Played for||China Sharks (ALH)
Rockford IceHogs (AHL)
Manitoba Moose (AHL)
Milwaukee Admirals (AHL)
Nashville Predators (NHL)
San Antonio Rampage (AHL)
Florida Panthers (NHL)
Utah Grizzlies (AHL)
Tampa Bay Lightning (NHL)
New York Islanders (NHL)
Lowell Lock Monsters (AHL)
San Jose Sharks (NHL)
Kentucky Thoroughblades (AHL)
Kansas City Blades (IHL)
Kalamazoo Wings (IHL)
Greensboro Monarchs (ECHL)
Victoria Cougars (WHL)
Wade Flaherty (born January 11, 1968) is a retired Canadian professional ice hockey goaltender who has played in the National Hockey League for the San Jose Sharks, New York Islanders, Tampa Bay Lightning, Florida Panthers, and the Nashville Predators, as well as several teams in the American Hockey League and East Coast Hockey League. He last played professionally for the China Sharks of the Asia League Ice Hockey, before being named the developmental goaltending coach for the Chicago Blackhawks.
While playing with the Islanders, "Flats" was the last NHL goalie to give up a goal to Wayne Gretzky.
In 2008, he signed with the China Sharks of the Asia League Ice Hockey, being named the starting goaltender and goaltender coach. Flaherty also assisted the Chinese national team in the same capacity. In January 2009, Flaherty was named Goaltending Coach of the Chicago Blackhawks.
As of the 2011-12 NHL season, Flaherty is/has been the Goaltending Coach for the Winnipeg Jets.
- June 11, 1988 - Drafted by Buffalo Sabres in the 9th round, 181st overall.
- September 3, 1991 - Signed by the San Jose Sharks as a free agent.
- July 22, 1996 - Signed by the New York Islanders as a free agent.
- February 16, 2001 - Traded to the Tampa Bay Lightning for future considerations.
- August 2, 2001 - Signed by the Florida Panthers as a free agent.
- March 9, 2003 - Traded to the Nashville Predators for Pascal Trepanier.
- July 7, 2004 - Signed by the Vancouver Canucks as a free agent.
- July 11, 2007 - Signed by the Chicago Blackhawks as a free agent.
- Daily Herald News Services (2009-01-28). "Hawks name Flaherty developmental goaltending coach". Daily Herald. Retrieved 2009-01-28.
- Meltzer, Bill (2008). "San Jose strengthens ties to China Sharks". NHL. Retrieved 2011-02-05.
|Winner of the Jack A. Butterfield Trophy