This article needs additional citations for verification. (November 2015) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Wadworth & Co. was founded in 1875 when Henry Wadworth purchased the Northgate Brewery in Devizes. It was not long before they exceeded their capacity at the Northgate Brewery and in 1885 they moved premises to a new facility close to their original site. Since then, the brewer has been a major influence on the economy of Devizes and a major provider of ale in the south of England.
While 6X is the brewer's best known beer, the company also produce other beers, including several seasonal ales.
Beers available throughout the year:
- 6X (4.3% abv)
- Henry's Original IPA (3.6%abv)
- Horizon – Golden Ale (4.0% abv)
- Bishop's Tipple – Golden ale, full flavoured (5.0% abv on draught, 5.5% abv in bottle)
- Swordfish – A stronger version of 6X with the addition of Pusser's Navy Rum (5.0% abv)
- Corvus – A nitro keg stout available in 30L format with a chocolate & coffee taste and creamy head
- St George & The Dragon – (March and April)
- Lily The Pink – a blend of golden beer and Angostura bitters
- Red, White & Brew – a hoppy golden beer brewed initially to commemorate the Jubilee and the Olympics (May–July)
- Farmers Glory – a traditional English ale (July and August, 4.7% abv)
- Malt & Hops – using fresh hops straight from the bine (September and October)
- Blunderbuss – a red autumn ale flavoured with elderberry (5.0% abv)
- Old Timer – winter ale (December and January)
The "X" in 6X refers to a traditional grading system for strong beer; it was first brewed in 1923. In 2007, 6X won the Daily Telegraph and Cask Marque Best Of British Beer Award for Wales and the West Country. 6X is available in draught cask, keg, can and bottle formats.
Wadworths still use traditional shire horses to deliver their casked ale to local pubs in Devizes. Their radius of the operation is roughly 5 miles (8 km); beyond this, motor vehicles are used. The ale can be delivered in metal or wooden barrels.
The brewery owns four horses (Monty, Max and Archie and Sam) which are stabled at the brewery. As well as delivering ale, the horses compete in shows and events throughout the country. They are featured often in the local press and have featured in many programmes such as Countryfile.
Wadworth operate a Visitor Centre and gift shop at the brewery. Tours of the brewery can be taken and may include a tutored tasting of the Wadworth range and visits to the shire horses and sign-writing shop.
- "Wadworth's Brewery, Devizes, Wiltshire (C) Dr Neil Clifton :: Geograph Britain and Ireland". Geograph.org.uk. Retrieved 19 November 2015.
- "Beer delivery (C) Nick Smith :: Geograph Britain and Ireland". Geograph.org.uk. Retrieved 19 November 2015.
- "Wadworth Website – Our History". Wadworth & Co Ltd. Retrieved 15 March 2016.
- "History". Wadworth 6X. Archived from the original on 12 May 2016. Retrieved 4 June 2016.
- Hook, Rachael (28 July 2015). "18hh Shire joins brewery team". Horse & Hound. Retrieved 4 June 2016.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Northgate Brewery, Devizes.|