Waffle Day is a tradition that is celebrated in Sweden, and to a lesser extent elsewhere, on March 25, which is also the Feast of the Annunciation. Waffles are typically eaten on this day. The shift from the religious celebration to Waffle Day occurred because the Swedish Vårfrudagen, meaning Our Lady's Day or the Feast of the Annunciation, sounds similar to Våffeldagen (waffle day), and so over time Swedes began calling it Waffle Day and celebrating by eating waffles.
Waffle Day has recently begun to be celebrated in other countries as well, often ushered in by restaurants and cafés specialising in waffles, as in India, where the Belgian Waffle Co. in 2018 declared that they would celebrate National Waffle Day in July, or in Norway, where Waffle Day was all but unknown until producers of waffle irons, milk and flour started to promote waffle day in the mid-2010s. In the United States, National Waffle Day is celebrated in August to commemorate the date of a U.S. patent on a waffle iron, however the celebration is described as "at best a "bizarre" or "unique" holiday" - the fluff stuff of radio DJ commentary", a frequent criticism of food celebration days.
- Omoniyi, Tope (2006). Explorations in the sociology of language and religion. Fishman, Joshua A. Amsterdam: J. Benjamins. p. 253. ISBN 9027227101. OCLC 427506747.
- Fieldhouse, Paul (2017). Food, feasts, and faith : an encyclopedia of food culture in world religions. Santa Barbara, California: ABC-CLIO. p. 35. ISBN 9781610694117. OCLC 959260516.
- Gulevich, Tanya (2002). Encyclopedia of Easter, Carnival, and Lent. Detroit: Omnigraphics. p. 8. ISBN 0780804325. OCLC 48163449.
- "National Waffle Day: Sweet binge on your favourite waffles at just ₹100!". Mumbai Live. Retrieved 2019-01-30.
- Aasheim, Tore (2016-03-24). "Vaffeldag til ære for Marias graviditet". opdalingen.no (in Norwegian Bokmål). Retrieved 2019-01-30.
- Smith, Andrew F. (2013). The Oxford encyclopedia of food and drink in America (2nd ed.). New York, New York: Oxford University Press. p. 554. ISBN 9780199734962. OCLC 781555950.
- "The Waffle Day Controversy". MrBreakfast.com. Retrieved 2019-01-30.
- Rayner, Jay (2018-02-22). "Tripe Day, Waffle Day, Nutella Day – when did food get so needy?". The Guardian. ISSN 0261-3077. Retrieved 2019-01-30.