|Genre||Japanese restaurant + noodle bar|
|Headquarters||London, United Kingdom|
Number of locations
|Owner||Duke Street Capital|
Wagamama (stylized as wagamama), a British-headquartered restaurant chain, serving Asian food inspired by the flavours of Japan.
wagamama opened at a time when few people thought the restaurant sector was worth investing in, although the critical acclaim and commercial success the restaurant received soon changed that belief. The first restaurant in Bloomsbury was designed by Stiff and Trevillion Architects, who were subsequently involved in the design of 10 further restaurants. One of the partners of the architectural practice, Michael Stiff stated, "wagamama really pushed back the boundaries and rejuvenated what had become an extremely jaded industry. As well as being completely different from a design point of view, the prices of the meals were also significantly lower than those of other London restaurants at the time."
As of April 2016, the chain includes 140+ restaurants, with 120 being in the UK. Other restaurants are located in Belgium, Cyprus, Denmark, Gibraltar, Greece, Ireland, Kuwait, Malta, the Netherlands, New Zealand, Qatar, Slovakia, Sweden, Switzerland, Turkey, the UAE and the United States.
The first site in Streatham Street, Bloomsbury, London closed permanently on 19 June 2016.
The word wagamama (わがまま) is Japanese for "self-indulgent", "self-centered", "selfish", "disobedient" or "willful". wagamama has released 2 cookbooks in order to further extend their brand. wagamama believes in a Japanese philosophy called 'kaizen', which they say 'shapes every dish we create, and pushes us to find better ways in all that we do. we’re restless spirits. forever creating and making things better'.
wagamama has a belief in serving fresh food, as soon as it's ready with menus being updated seasonally.
Wagamama has a number of features that have since been adopted by many restaurants. Orders are taken via PDAs, and wirelessly networked to the kitchen. Once orders are taken, food order numbers are written on customers' paper place mats and food is delivered to the table once cooked, which means dishes are not necessarily served at the same time. Customers sit on either side of large tables, seating as many as 16 people at one table.
In November 2015 the chain was one of seven restaurants surveyed that failed to meet a basic level of sustainability in its seafood.
- "about wagamama". Wagamama. Retrieved 9 October 2012.
- "Arguably The Saviour Of The Restaurant, Stiff and Trevillion, p. 36-37.". Chill Magazine. 2001.
- "Wagamama". Stiff + Trevillion. 2010.
- Brendan Scott (4 November 2010). "Investcorp and Morgan Stanley to tuck into Wagamama". Real Deals. Retrieved 9 October 2012.
- "Duke Street buys wagamama from Lion Capital". unquote.com. 1 April 2011. Retrieved 9 October 2012.
- Historic England, "Hammersmith Fire Station (1079777)", National Heritage List for England, retrieved 31 August 2014
- The Caterer: Wagamama opens its 100th restaurant | The Caterer, accessdate: 02/09/2014
- "global map". Wagamama. Retrieved 25 January 2014.
- Google translate. Google https://translate.google.com/#auto/en/%E3%82%8F%E3%81%8C%E3%81%BE%E3%81%BE. Retrieved 10 July 2016. Missing or empty
- "わがまま definition". bab.la.
- "Wagamama Increases Customer Satisfaction and Food and Beverage Sales With Symbol Technologies' Mobile Computers". PR Newswire. Retrieved 9 October 2012.
- "Pennington Robson — Portfolio". Archived from the original on 2010-09-14. Retrieved 2012-10-09.
See photo on page.