Jump to navigation Jump to search
Main street of Waihola
|• Type||District Council|
|• Body||Clutha District Council|
|• Mayor||Bryan Cadogan|
|• Bruce Ward Councillor (Chair, Corporate Services Committee)||Gaynor Finch|
|• Bruce Ward Councillor||Joanna Lowrey|
|• Bruce Ward Councillor (Chair, Regulatory Services Committee)||Bruce Vollweiler|
|PO Box Lobby Postcode (Waihola, Waihola)|
|Rural Delivery Postcode (RD 1, Outram)|
|International telephone access and area code||03|
|ISO 3166 code||554|
|Local iwi||Ngāi Tahu|
- The name Waihola is accepted to be analogous with the word wai-hora, meaning "spreading waters".
- The place name for the location of Waihola is not assigned as an official place name by the NZ Geographic Names Board.
- The place name also creates some interest as the Māori alphabet doesn't normally contain the letter 'L'. This is most likely an example of an earlier Southern Māori dialect.
Waihola is a popular destination for day-trips from Dunedin, 35 kilometres to the north, and the lake is a venue for many water sports, including waterskiing, rowing, and yachting.
Lake Waihola Waipori Wetlands
- "The 2175-hectare Waihola Waipori wetland system is one of the largest and most significant remaining lowland wetland systems in New Zealand. It is a diverse and highly productive ecosystem that supports threatened species such as the giant kokopu and the South Island Fernbird. The wetland is of great significance to Kai Tahu and an important recreational hunting and fishing area" (Lake Waihola Waipori Wetlands Society).
Sinclair Wetlands|Te Nohoaka o Tukiauau
- "Councillors". cluthadc.govt.nz. Retrieved 2016-06-14.
- "New Zealand Gazetteer: Search for Place Names | Land Information New Zealand (LINZ)". linz.govt.nz. Retrieved 2016-06-14.
- mao(B)/mri(T) native language
- "New Zealand Post". nzpost.co.nz. Retrieved 2016-06-14.
- Macalister, John (2004). "Listening to Proper Nouns: Social Change and Maori Proper Noun Use in New Zealand English" (PDF). New Zealand English Journal. 18: 28. Retrieved 24 June 2018.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Waihola.|