Wait (Beatles song)
|Song by the Beatles|
|from the album Rubber Soul|
|Released||3 December 1965|
17 June, and 11 November 1965,|
EMI Studios, London
"Wait" is a song released by the Beatles, on their 1965 album Rubber Soul. The songwriting credit is Lennon–McCartney, although in the 1997 book, Many Years from Now, McCartney recalls it as entirely his. This is supported by a 1970 interview with John Lennon by Ray Connolly. John could not remember writing it. "That must be one of Paul's," he said.
Origin and recording
The song was originally recorded for Help! in June 1965 but was rejected for inclusion on the album. When Rubber Soul fell one song short for a Christmas release, "Wait" was brought back. Overdubs were added to the initial recording so it would blend in better with the other, more recent songs on Rubber Soul.
The lyrics, describing the singer's anxieties about his relationship with his girlfriend while he is away, are thematically similar to several other Lennon–McCartney songs, such as "When I Get Home" and "Things We Said Today," written during the period of 1964 and 1965. The vocals on the verse are shared between Lennon and McCartney, and McCartney sings the two middle eight sections. Instrumentally, George Harrison's tone pedal guitar has been considered the most memorable aspect of the song.
- John Lennon – double tracked vocal, rhythm guitar
- Paul McCartney – double tracked vocal, bass
- George Harrison – lead guitar
- Ringo Starr – drums, maracas, tambourine
- A cover version was issued as a single by Frankie Vaughan but failed to chart.
- A cover by husband and wife duo Sam Lakeman and Cara Dillon was included on the 2006 compilation Rubber Folk.
- Supergroup Yellow Matter Custard also covered the song.
- Ben Kweller did a cover of the song for the 2005 album This Bird Has Flown – A 40th Anniversary Tribute to the Beatles' Rubber Soul
- Bettye LaVette recorded a cover of the song on her 2015 release Worthy.
- MacDonald, Ian (2005). Revolution in the Head. Pimlico. p. 160. ISBN 978-1-84413-828-9.
- "1970: John talking about his songs [telephone interview]", The Ray Connolly Beatles Archive, Plumray Books, 2011, Kindle edition, ASIN: B0052AFE6S
- "Wait". The Beatles Bible. Retrieved 15 April 2008.
- Unterberger, Richie (2009). "Wait". Allmusic. Retrieved 15 June 2009.
- "Bettye LaVette CD Releases". Retrieved 7 February 2015.