Waiting for a Star to Fall
|"Waiting for a Star to Fall"|
|Single by Boy Meets Girl|
|from the album Reel Life|
|A-side||"Waiting for a Star to Fall"|
|Released||June 10, 1988 (U.S.)
November 30, 1988 (UK)
|Format||7" single, 12" single, CD single|
|Songwriter(s)||Shannon Rubicam, George Merrill|
|Producer(s)||George Merrill, Arif Mardin & Thomas Hart|
|Boy Meets Girl singles chronology|
"Waiting for a Star to Fall" is a song released by the pop duo Boy Meets Girl in 1988. It was a worldwide hit and became their signature song.
The song was inspired by an actual falling star that Shannon Rubicam had seen at one of Whitney Houston's concerts at the Greek Theatre. Initially, the duo did not consider recording it, and instead submitted the song to Clive Davis hoping he would decide to use it on Houston's next album. He rejected it, suggesting that it did not suit her. The song was then offered to and recorded by Belinda Carlisle for her 1987 release Heaven on Earth, at the insistence of her label, but Carlisle disliked it and refused to include it on the album. This version has, however, circulated on an unofficial compilation of that album's outtakes.
Release and reception
Merrill and Rubicam decided to record the song themselves for their second album Reel Life. Released as a single on June 10, 1988, it became a hit in the United States, slowly climbing the charts and eventually reaching #1 on the Billboard Adult Contemporary Chart. Released in the UK on November 30, 1988, the song reached #9 in the UK charts during January 1989, having entered the chart in December 1988. It also reached #35 on Australia's ARIA Charts in April 1989.
The song was used as the closing track to the 1990 movie Three Men and a Little Lady, and the single was re-released as a movie tie-in, with a new picture sleeve featuring the actors of the film. It peaked at #76 in the UK.
The video for the song, directed by Australian director Claudia Castle, features scenes of Merrill and Rubicam singing it on a beach and inside a house. Also featured are scenes of a group of children playing with bubbles, one of whom is Merrill and Rubicam's daughter Hilary.
- George Merrill: lead vocals, piano, synthesizer, bass guitar, drum programming
- John Goux: guitar
- Denny Fongheiser: drums
- Michael Jochum: additional drums
- Andy Snitzer: saxophone
- Shannon Rubicam, Susan Boyd: vocals
- Joe Mardin: "Crowning Touch" (synthesizer)
|"Star to Fall"|
|Single by Cabin Crew|
|Songwriter(s)||Shannon Rubicam, George Merrill|
Covers and remixes
The song has been remixed several times, resulting each time in new interest in both the original and the Boy Meets Girl duo. The dance outfit Cabin Crew originally remixed the song as "Star to Fall" (a.k.a. "Star2Fall"), but were refused use of sample of the original lyrics by SonyBMG. Liking what Cabin Crew had done, however, George Merrill agreed to re-record the vocals for their version, so it may actually be counted as more of a cover than a remix. Cabin Crew's version made number 4 in the UK charts in March 2005. Meanwhile, SonyBMG had Sunset Strippers remix the original track under the title "Falling Stars," which was released a week after the Cabin Crew version, and made number 3 in the UK charts. This caused some confusion at the time, with two songs being released into the charts around the same time that sounded essentially the same.
- In 2004 the Sunset Strippers produced "Falling Stars" a remix of the original song and some beats
- The track "In My Arms" by British electronic musician Mylo sampled the song and was featured on Mylo's album Destroy Rock & Roll. His version also sampled Kim Carnes's "Bette Davis Eyes" and made it to #13 in the UK in 2005.
- In 2007, German hardstyle musician Dan Winter recorded a remix titled "Carry Your Heart".
- In December 2013, a folk cover of the song by Icelandic singer Yohanna surfaced on the Internet.
- In March 2014, a folk cover of the song by English singer Diana Vickers surfaced on the Internet.
- In September 2017, Australian singer George Maple interpolated the song as part of her single 'Hero'
- Belinda Carlisle - Waiting for a Star To Fall. 2 March 2010 – via YouTube.
- "Boy Meets Girl Chart History". billboard.com. Retrieved 6 December 2009.
- "Boy Meets Girl UK Chart History". chartstats.com. Archived from the original on 23 July 2012. Retrieved 6 December 2009.
- VICE CITY FM: Boy Meets Girl - Waiting For A Star To Fall. 16 May 2010 – via YouTube.
- Johnny Loftus. "Reel Life – Boy Meets Girl – Review". Allmusic. Retrieved March 5, 2012.
- Boy Meets Girl - Waiting for a Star to Fall. 21 February 2014 – via YouTube.
- Boy Meets Girl- Reel Life LP (lists song-by-song personnel) @Discogs.com Retrieved 7-11-2014.
- "Dan Winter - Carry Your Heart". Discogs. Retrieved 2017-12-17.
- "Song "Waiting For A Star To Fall"". www.yohanna.de. Retrieved 2017-12-17.
- Jord C (2014-03-20), Diana Vickers - Waiting For a Star to Fall, retrieved 2017-12-17
- "Canadian Singles Chart from Nanda Lwin; Top 40 Hits: The Essential Chart Guide (2000)"
- Waiting for a Star to Fall UK Top 40 database. Accessed: September 27, 2009
- "Top Singles - Volume 51, No. 8, December 23, 1989". RPM. December 23, 1999. Retrieved November 22, 2017.
- Full lyrics at Boy Meets Girl Music 
"Giving You the Best That I Got" by Anita Baker
|Billboard Adult Contemporary hart number-one single
December 17, 1988
"Two Hearts" by Phil Collins