Waiting in Vain
|"Waiting in Vain"|
|Single by Bob Marley & The Wailers|
|from the album Exodus|
|Bob Marley & The Wailers singles chronology|
|"Waiting in Vain"|
|Single by Annie Lennox|
|from the album Medusa|
|Annie Lennox singles chronology|
"Waiting in Vain" is a song written by reggae musician Bob Marley and recorded by Bob Marley & The Wailers, for his 1977 album Exodus. Released as a single, it hit number twenty-seven in the UK Singles Chart.
The single was one of only a few of Marley's Island singles to feature a non-album B-Side, this being the song "Roots", an outtake from the Rastaman Vibration sessions. This later appeared on the compilation Rebel Music and on Exodus (Deluxe Edition). The 1981 reissue of Waiting In Vain featured a megamix called Marley Mix Up Medley instead.
Annie Lennox version
"Waiting in Vain" was recorded by Annie Lennox for her album Medusa in 1995 – 18 years after Marley recorded it. It was released as the album's third single in 1995 and reached number thirty-one on the UK singles chart. Lennox's version was used in the 2001 film Serendipity , the 2002 film Changing Lanes and the final episode of Peter Kay's Car Share in 2018.
- "Waiting in Vain (single mix)" – 4:07
- "No More "I Love You's" (Junior Vasquez mix)" – 7:32
- "Waiting in Vain (Strong Body mix)" – 5:27
- "Medusa Interview excerpts" – 5:01
- In 1992, guitarist Lee Ritenour covered the song with singer Maxi Priest on Ritenour's album Wes Bound.
- Jamaican singer Leroy Smart recorded a single in 1977 on Hit Bound label.
- The track was also covered as part of a Cocoa Tea song of the same name.
- Jon B. covered the song on the Light It Up soundtrack.
- Brazilian musician and former Minister of Culture Gilberto Gil covered the song for his 2002 album Kaya N'Gan Daya.
- Filipino rock band Bamboo covered the song for their 2003 album As The Music Plays the Band.
- Filipino acoustic band MYMP covered the song for their 2003 album Soulful Acoustic.
- "Waiting in Vain" was covered by English guitar virtuoso Jon Gomm on his 2003 debut Hypertension.
- Floetry on their 2005 UK edition of Flo'Ology.
- "Waiting in Vain" was covered by singer Jody Watley as part of her 2006 album The Makeover and rereleased as a single in 2018.
- Susan Werner on her 2009 album "Classics."
- Jay Sean on his 2011 mixtape The Mistress.
- The Story So Far recorded a cover for their acoustic EP Songs Of in 2014.
- Somi on her 2011 album Live at Jazz Standard.
- Nick Hexum of 311 covered the song at 311 Day 2012.
- Dianne Reeves on her 2013 album Beautiful Life.
- Norwegian duo Kings of Convenience covered the song during a live performance in Korea.
- Harry Manx covered the song on his 2014 album 20 strings and the truth.
|UK Singles Chart||27 (1977)||Bob Marley & the Wailers|
|UK Singles Chart||31 (1995)||Annie Lennox|
- "Wes Bound overview". Allmusic.com.
- "311 Day 2012 - Night 1". Setlist.com. 10 March 2012. Retrieved 13 October 2016.
- David Roberts (ed.): Guinness World Records – British Hit Singles and Albums, 19th ed., 2006, ISBN 1-904994-10-5
- UK Singles Chart Official Charts Company (Retrieved 29 March 2008)