General view of the station from the south side in July 2008
|Location||4-6 Honchō, Wakō-shi, Saitama-ken 351-0114
|Distance||12.5 km from Ikebukuro|
|Platforms||2 island platforms|
|Station code||TJ-11, Y-01, F-01|
|Previous names||Niikura; Yamato-machi (until 1970)|
|Passengers (Tobu, FY2010)||157,212 daily|
Wakōshi Station (和光市駅? Wakōshi-eki) is a railway station in Wakō, Saitama, Japan, operated by the private railway operator Tobu Railway and Tokyo subway operator Tokyo Metro. It is the only Tokyo Metro station located in Saitama Prefecture. It is the westernmost station in the Tokyo subway network, and the northernmost Tokyo Metro station (Nishi-Takashimadaira on the Toei network is farther north).
Wakōshi Station is served by the Tobu Tojo Line from Ikebukuro to Kawagoe and Ogawamachi in Saitama Prefecture. It also forms the northern terminus of the Tokyo Metro Yurakucho Line and Tokyo Metro Fukutoshin Line, with some trains continuing northward on the Tobu Tojo Line to Shiki and Kawagoeshi. Located between Narimasu and Asaka stations, it is 12.5 km from the Ikebukuro terminus.
The station consists of two island platforms serving four tracks. The two platforms, 2 and 3, used by Tokyo Metro services were equipped with chest-high platform edge doors in April 2012, with operation commencing in July 2012. Similar platform edge doors were installed on the Tobu platforms, 1 and 4, in February 2016, and scheduled to be brought into operation from 26 March.
|1||■ Tobu Tojo Line||for Shiki, Kawagoe, Shinrinkōen, Ogawamachi, and Yorii
(from Ikebukuro on the Tojo Line)
|2||■ Tobu Tojo Line||for Shiki, Kawagoe, and Shinrinkōen
(from the Yurakucho Line & the Fukutoshin Line)
|■ Tokyo Metro Yurakucho Line||(terminating services)|
|■ Tokyo Metro Fukutoshin Line||(terminating services)|
|3||■ Tokyo Metro Yurakucho Line||for Kotake-mukaihara, Ikebukuro, Yūrakuchō, and Shin-Kiba|
|■ Tokyo Metro Fukutoshin Line||for Kotake-mukaihara, Ikebukuro, Shinjuku-sanchōme, and Shibuya
Tokyu Toyoko Line for Yokohama
Minatomirai Line for Motomachi-Chukagai
|4||■ Tobu Tojo Line||for Narimasu, Kami-Itabashi, and Ikebukuro|
|Tobu Tojo Line|
|TJ Liner: Does not stop at this station|
|F Liner Express||Asakadai|
|Tokyo Metro Yurakucho Line|
(Tobu Tojo Line)
|Tokyo Metro Fukutoshin Line|
|Through to Tobu Tojo Line||Express||Kotake-mukaihara|
|F Liner Express||Kotake-mukaihara|
|Through to Tobu Tojo Line||Commuter express||Chikatetsu-narimasu|
|Through to Tobu Tojo Line||Local||Chikatetsu-narimasu|
The station opened on February 1, 1934, as Niikura Station (にいくら駅?) on the Tōjō Railway Line. Though originally written in hiragana, the station name was written in kanji (新倉駅) from July 21, 1934 onwards. On October 1, 1951, the station was renamed Yamato-machi Station (大和町駅?). On December 20, 1970, it was renamed Wakōshi Station.
Fukutoshin Line services started on June 14, 2008.
From March 17, 2012, station numbering was introduced on the Tobu Tojo Line, with Wakōshi Station becoming "TJ-11".
In fiscal 2010, the station was used by an average of 157,212 passengers daily.
- Japan Ground Self-Defense Force Asaka Base
- Honda Technical Research Institute
- National Tax College
- National Route 254 (Kawagoekaidō avenue)
The following long-distance express bus services operate from the south side of the station.
- Haneda Airport, operated by Airport Transport Service (Limousine Bus) and Seibu Bus
- Narita Airport, operated by Seibu Bus
- Terada, Hirokazu (July 2002). データブック日本の私鉄 [Databook: Japan's Private Railways]. Japan: Neko Publishing. p. 200. ISBN 4-87366-874-3.
- 有楽町線：和光市駅に設置！ [Installation at Yurakucho Line Wakoshi Station] (pdf) (in Japanese). Japan: Tokyo Metro. 27 March 2012. Retrieved 15 April 2012.
- 東上線和光市駅4番線ホームに可動式ホーム柵が設置される [Platform edge doors installed on platform 4 of Wakoshi Station on Tojo Line]. Japan Railfan Magazine Online (in Japanese). Japan: Koyusha Co., Ltd. 15 February 2016. Retrieved 16 February 2016.
- 和光市駅 [Wakōshi Station information].
- Tobu Tojo Line Timetable, published 7 June 2008
- 「東武スカイツリーライン」誕生！ あわせて駅ナンバリングを導入し、よりわかりやすくご案内します [Tobu Sky Tree Line created! Station numbering to be introduced at same time] (pdf). Tobu News (in Japanese). Tobu Railway. 9 February 2012. Retrieved 21 March 2012.
- Tobu Tojo Line Timetable, published March 2013
- 駅情報（乗降人員） [Station information (Passenger statistics)] (in Japanese). Japan: Tobu Railway. Retrieved 14 December 2011.
- 石神井公園駅・和光市駅⇔羽田空港 [Shakujiikoen/Wakoshi – Haneda Airport]. Airport Limousine (in Japanese). Japan: Airport Transport Service Co., Ltd. Retrieved 13 January 2013.
- 西武 空港連絡バス [Seibu Airport Bus Links] (in Japanese). Japan: Seibu Bus Co., Ltd. Retrieved 23 November 2012.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Wakōshi Station.|