Wake Up (Arcade Fire song)
|Single by Arcade Fire|
|from the album Funeral|
|Released||November 14, 2005|
|Recorded||2003–04 at Hotel2Tango (Montreal, Quebec)|
|Writer(s)||Arcade Fire (William Butler, Win Butler, Régine Chassagne, Tim Kingsbury, Richard Reed Parry)|
|Arcade Fire singles chronology|
"Wake Up" is an indie rock song by Canadian rock band Arcade Fire. It was the fifth and final single released from the band's debut album, Funeral. The single was released as a one-sided 7" vinyl record on November 14, 2005.
In 2009, NME ranked "Wake Up" as the 25th best song of the 2000s, and in 2014 ranked "Wake Up" as the 25th greatest song of all-time. Rolling Stone ranked "Wake Up" as the 42nd best song of the 2000s. In October 2011, NME placed it at number 22 on its list "150 Best Tracks of the Past 15 Years".
In popular culture
This song was played during the beginning of the U2's Vertigo Tour shows, usually followed by "City of Blinding Lights". A brief snippet of the song's pre-concert appearance opens U2's concert film Vertigo 2005: Live from Chicago.
"Wake Up" was played as the pre-game intro song at New York Rangers games during the 2006–2007 season. It is currently used as the intro song for Premier League club Burnley, EFL Championship club Aston Villa and, since 2005, by Irish Premier League champions Linfield.
Arcade Fire licensed "Wake Up" to play in commercials during Super Bowl XLIV. All proceeds from airing the song were donated to Partners in Health for relief efforts related to the 2010 Haiti earthquake. 
In 2010, the song was used on the Best Bits for Big Brother UK when the series ended after an 11 Year run.
The song was covered by Macy Gray on her 2012 release Covered.
The song is in the film The Secret Life Of Walter Mitty.
The song played during the cold open of the November 5th 2016 episode of Saturday Night Live, where Alec Baldwin and Kate McKinnon - after breaking character during a political sketch where they play Donald Trump and Hillary Clinton respectively - decide to go out and hug New Yorkers in the streets.
- "Wake Up" - 5:33
- Win Butler - vocals, 12 String Electric Guitar
- Regine Chassagne - vocals, synthesizer
- Richard Reed Parry - percussion, accordion, piano, backing vocals, engineer, recording
- Tim Kingsbury - Telecaster guitar, backing vocals
- Howard Bilerman - engineer, recording
- Arlen Thompson - drums
- Will Butler - bass, backing vocals
- Sarah Neufeld – violin, string arrangements
- Owen Pallett – violin, string arrangements
- Michael Olsen – cello
- Pietro Amato – horn
- Anita Fust – harp
- Sophie Trudeau – violin
- Jessica Moss – violin
- Gen Heistek – viola
- "150 Best Tracks Of The Past 15 Years". Nme.Com. Retrieved 2012-01-12.
- "Top Singles of the 2000s". Rate Your Music. Retrieved 31 July 2014.
- Arcade Fire Re-Record 'Wake Up' For 'Where The Wild Things Are' Trailer
- "Arcade Fire Licenses "Wake Up" to Super Bowl for Haiti Charity :: Music :: News :: Paste". Pastemagazine.com. 2010-02-03. Retrieved 2010-03-03.