Wakeland High School
|Wakeland High School|
|10700 Legacy Rd
Frisco, Texas 75033
|School type||Public high school|
|School district||Frisco Independent School District|
|Enrollment||2,068  (2015)|
|• Grade 9||507 |
|• Grade 10||466 |
|• Grade 11||566 |
|• Grade 12||529 |
|Color(s)||Orange and Navy Blue|
|Athletics conference||UIL Class 5A|
|Rival||Frisco High School|
Justin Wakeland High School is a public high school located in the city of Frisco, Texas, United States, and classified as a 5A school by the UIL. It is a part of the Frisco Independent School District located in west central Collin County and is one of eight district high schools. It opened for the first time to students on August 14, 2006. Most sophomores and juniors were transferred from Frisco High School due to the expansion of the city and Frisco ISD. Incoming freshman usually come from Griffin Middle School, Cobb Middle School, and others from Staley Middle School. In 2013, the school was rated "Met Standard" by the Texas Education Agency.
The school was originally scheduled to be named Legacy High School. Its name was changed during construction for Justin Wakeland, who served as the superintendent of the Frisco ISD for 19 years from 1978 to 1997.
The school has a bi-weekly television show called Win-TV, which features many segments and interviews about current events at Wakeland High School.
Wakeland Access, the school newspaper, features various articles about events at the school.
The following sports are offered at Wakeland:
- Boys and girls cross country
- Boys and girls tennis
- Boys and girls basketball
- Boys and girls power lifting
- Boys and girls soccer
- 2010 (4A) Boys state champion
- Boys Baseball
- Girls Softball
- Boys and Girls Golf
- Boys and Girls Track
- Boys and Girls Swimming
- Boys and Girls Wrestling
- Boys and Girls Gymnastics
- Theater Arts
- Concert Band
- UIL Choir
- Marching Band
- Color Guard
- VASE Art Competition [clarification needed]
- Technical Theater
- Solo and Ensemble
- Legacy Line Drill Team
- The Texas Tribune. "Wakeland High School". The Texas Tribune. Retrieved 15 January 2015.
- "2013 Accountability Rating System". Texas Education Agency.
- Comprehensive Annual Financial Report, Frisco ISD, ending August 31, 2003, pg 37
- Wakeland High School Athletics
- "UIL: Soccer State Championships - Brackets". Retrieved 15 January 2015.